Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Electrical problems, radio,accessory power,etc. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/electrical-problems-radio-accessory-power-etc-29683/)

shanebar007 07-20-2011 10:13 AM

Electrical problems, radio,accessory power,etc.

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2001 Monte Carlo SS that runs exceptional, but of course has some what seems to be common problems. For one the radio sound started skipping then no sound at all. Radio still has lit display and RDS shows radio station names on display. Maybe the amp in the trunk. Another problem I noticed is when I turn key to accessory position I have no power to windows, sunroof or radio, But, the air conditioner comes on. Also the ABS, traction control , and service traction control system warnings come on sporatically. especially when turning and accellerating, or turning and braking like when pulling in parking space. Are these possibly multiple problems or all one faulty electrical component such as Body control module? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Sparky-88 07-20-2011 10:51 AM

Malfunctioning BCM can cause all kids of weird electrical issues. So could be just that. Hard to say for sure without more info.

Milhouse 07-20-2011 02:32 PM

My boy had similar problems with his car, I'll hit him up and see what he had to do to fix it

jaws2008 07-20-2011 02:41 PM

Im having issues with what started with the cruise control module and still is. Now the module at the top with the temp and direction etc.. wont come on, nor will the HVAC, or cruise and the cruise will illuminate on dash. Then randomly while driving it will all start to work, sometimes just by doing something like open or closing the window, or messing with the controls on the HVAC it will make it work too. Lately its been working fine on startup but not always.

Milhouse 07-20-2011 08:59 PM

Well, he said he didn't know exactly what the cause was, this is the deal....

He was having alot of similar issues as you as well as a starting issue, would only start in neutral and even then it was random. So he took it to the shop for the starting issue and the weird electrical issues like you described. The shop replaced the shift selector switch and when he got the car back none of the electrical issues were present. It's now been about 2 years and everything has remained fine. He asked the shop what they did to get rid of the weird electrical issues and they didn't really give him a definitive answer and what they did tell him made him believe they simply reset/cleared the codes in the ecu. He said he thinks they got spooked that something they did cause one or some of the issues the car was having so they reprogrammed the ecu and/or bcm and just kept it quiet just in case it caused a problem down the road so he couldn't go back to them and hold them responsible. The reason he thinks that is because his buddy is an instructor at a local college who teaches auto repair and has all the latest and greatest tools including the GM Tech level programmers. He had him pull the codes and clear them just to see if they would come back after a while and sure enough they did. So it just doesn't make any sense that that's all they did.

shanebar007 07-21-2011 02:18 PM

Thanks to all who responded

I really appreciate all the help and replies to my thread. Maybe one day I can get the issues resolved before they get worse.