Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Dash Pad Issues (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/dash-pad-issues-57214/)

96z34man 10-12-2016 04:29 AM

Dash Pad Issues

Hi,

My dash pad is coming up. I tried reattaching it with industrial-strength Velcro, and it literally did nothing.

I'm trying to avoid using glue. Is there anything else that works?

Aerocoupe86 10-12-2016 07:05 PM

Just a fyi, any dash pad from 2000-2005 is a direct fit for the 06-07s also.
I went to pull a part snagged one off an 03 SS and bolted right into my 06 LT monte. cost me $25 and about 20 minute time to get it pulled.
Next time I think ill grab everyone I see.

96z34man 10-12-2016 11:19 PM

So, how do I "bolt it in," and more importantly, how do I keep from warping the "new" one when I pull it?

Aerocoupe86 10-13-2016 05:21 PM

as far as bolting one in, its not that difficult actually. If I recall, the first thing is remove the A pillar trim pieces along both sides. There are no screws in these, just clip on. They run from the base of the windshield up across to top edge of the door and almost back to the rear of the door along the headliner.
Then once the A pillar trim is removed, then remove the plastic trim at the base of the windshield along the dash pad. Again no screws here, just clips, once you pop it up, be careful to twist the headlight sensor out, it just snaps in from under side of the trim panel. This trim panel may be stuck to the firewall by some back foam, just pull it and it will come loose.
Then you will see 4 bolts along the base of the dash pad at the windshield, they have 10mm heads, a 1/4 drive ratchet and short socket work well here. Those are the only 10mm head bolts for this task. There is also the receiver for the keyless remotes and remote starter in the driver side corner of the dash pad you will see once that trim panel is removed. It just snaps into its little pocket. pull it out and unplug the 2 wires and just tuck the wires up to the side.
Next open both doors, there are 2 trim panels on each side of the dash that cover fuse boxes, they just snap in. There are a couple 7 or 8mm head screws to remove each side.
You will see them once you get into it.
Also remove the instrument cluster bezel, again, no screws here, it just snaps in and snaps off. Then you will see several its either 7 or 8mm head bolts along the dash pad.
Again, they will become obvious once you get there.
You can remove the passenger air bag cover trim panel if you wish. it does make finding hidden screws easier but not totally needed. You can get to the screws you need to leaving it in place just a little more difficult. I think there were a couple screws to it you can get to by opening the dash.
Once you get those pesky screws out and the 4 10mm bolts at the windshield the dash pad lifts up and out.
I know it sounds like a lot but really it isn't bad at all.
As far as keeping the pad from lifting, I don't know of a sure fire way. its just age and heat that makes them come unglued. Id say keep a windshield thing across the dash and some armor all on it now and then and they should last many many more years. Sitting in baking sun for years with no protection just kills the foam and material id guess.

Like I mentioned I just did the back in the summer a couple months back. I had pulled the one out of my 06 monte a couple days prior it took a while to figure where all the bolts/screws were. but when I went to pull a part I had the donor dash pad out in 15 or 20 minutes since I knew exactly where to look and what needed to happen.
The trim piece along the winshield that snaps onto the dash pad is a hair different. The hole for the headlamp sensor is different from 00-05 vs 06-07. id guess a person could make it work but I used my original, the dash pad itself came from an 03 monte.

96z34man 10-13-2016 06:51 PM

Okay, so two more questions.

1. How on Earth do you get your hand, much less tools, into that spaceat the base of the windshield? I couldn't even Armor All it.

2. If the receiver of the remote starter is in the dash, why did I pay extra money for a special "remote starter" windshield, and why do I have to look at that stupid wire every time I get inside?

chifan 10-14-2016 07:51 AM

I have the same issue of the pad coming up, but since I live in Arkansas, there's no need to worry about it. The intense summer heat makes any repair attempt the same as pissing into the wind.... It's one of those things that most people would never notice, but it drives you crazy every time you get in the car.... I figure if I make the rest of the car look badass, no one will notice the dash....lol

Aerocoupe86 10-14-2016 06:21 PM

I don't have a problem reaching the base of the windshield. Once you pop that trim panel off at the base of the dashpad where it meets the windshield you will see the 4 bolts I'm talking about and the remote receiver. Again a 10mm 1/4 inch drive ratchet and short socket work well. Id suppose a ratchet wrench or even swivel socket would be fine.
The wire you refer to at the top left corner that you see goes to the antenna for the remote start, that antenna is made in the windshield. that's why there a difference between windshields for remote vs non remote equipped montes.
Ive got to replace the windshield in this LT monte soon, funny thing I was quoted a cheaper price for remote start which I have than a non remote windshield. not much but still I figured remote would be higher in price.
Hell I'm digging this LT monte, since I bought it my 06 SS has been in hibernation.

Barovelli 10-14-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man (Post 696261)
Okay, so two more questions.

1. How on Earth do you get your hand, much less tools, into that space at the base of the windshield? I couldn't even Armor All it.

No problem reaching the windshield base here. :)

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...1427-23053.jpg

96z34man 10-15-2016 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86 (Post 696282)
I don't have a problem reaching the base of the windshield. .

Y'all obviously have smaller hands than me. I'll skip the Donald Trump jokes.

96z34man 10-15-2016 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli (Post 696289)
No problem reaching the windshield base here. :)

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...1427-23053.jpg

Ditto.