Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Dash board crack

Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Originally Posted by tesla0055
The way yours is now I would just use the silicon chalk to seal the are. Then once it hardens use touch up paint to match the rest of the dash. Yeah it starts as a separation like you have but it will continue to run the length of the air bag to the point where you can see inside the dash. Each time you hit a bump it will continue to separate.
If, for whatever reason, I'd have to take apart the dash, would this silicon chalk be an issue? I think I might have to replace my gauge cluster stepper motors soon, and I know I will need to take the dash off.

Is there an alternate solution to fixing this besides gluing it? It's such a shame that the MC's do this.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:54 AM

I know of no other solution. I came up with that on my own. If I replaced the dash I feel it just might happen again. I used the chalk in such a small area that if I needed to get behind the dash I could just use a razor to cut through the chalk area. I can't seem to post a pic here of what I did. I really wish I could.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Not sure if this is similar to the issue you had, but this is the issue I have, and I'm wondering how to fix it. Not necessarily a crack, but a separation between both panels of the dash.

Mine was much worse - took it to a local upholstery (auto) shop and the guy charged me $85 to epoxy it. Mine was also separating near the vents close to the windshield and he fixed that too. I couldn't even stretch it over that point where it separated first (shown in your picture) so he was a miracle worker - heated and stretched it. Worth the 4 to me! Good luck on yours....

Last edited by phuntley; 04-04-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Default Hello

Yeah that's the same issue. It's a shame how the dashboards do that. The rest of my Monte is in mint condition except for that issue. I don't want to put a new dash in it cause I'm scared it will happen all over again. Thanks for replying with the pics.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Default Hi

Looks like a great job to me. For some reason I can't figure out how to post pics on this site. Do you have to be a upgraded member to do that? I would love to post pics of my Monte here. I live in Queens New York. There are very few Montes here. Last Friday I had a appointment at the veterans hospital and I saw two 2007 montes. That was a lot in one day. I have only seen one other 2007 Monte in this area. I have a friend who has a 2000 ss. He treats it like craps though. I tried to explain how these cars are destined to be collector items in the future but he just doesn't seem to understand that.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Default Btw

I recently got a recall slip from Chevy to bring it in because of faulty ignition switches. I have not done so yet though.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by tesla0055
I recently got a recall slip from Chevy to bring it in because of faulty ignition switches. I have not done so yet though.
All they do is fill in the holes on your keys with putty. Don't stress it. If you don't have a lot of heavy crap hanging on your keychain, you'll be fine.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for that info. I kind of figured the recall was a waste of time. Just something to cover gm's *** if something did happen.

Search this Thread