Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Car Audio Nuts!! Here is my Review of SMD DD-1 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/car-audio-nuts-here-my-review-smd-dd-1-a-31295/)

Blazed SS 09-29-2011 03:09 PM

Car Audio Nuts!! Here is my Review of SMD DD-1

Man I just got my SMD DD-1 yesterday !!
http://images.craigslist.org/3na3oa3...8dcb121384.jpg
and let me tell you this thing is Awesome !!
SMD Distortion Detector DD-1
you can get them here at the Introductory price still$139(this price will be going up soon ) or check Craig's list there are people that will level your system for you for like 20-25 $ is what I have seen on the Internet

This thing works on factory systems, or aftermarket systems with or with out additional amps in the setup.

By "clip point" I mean at the point of Distortion .

#1 If you are running the factory set up this will work for you to find the clip point of your system

#2 If you are a aftermarket deck and you are just using the deck to power your system doors and rear deck this will work for you 2 to find the clip point.

#3 If you are running a full aftermarket system from 100w RMS to 15,000w RMS you will be able to find your clip point on your deck and amps so your system will be leveled and amp gains will be set like a PRO !!

Now on to my Review
I got it yesterday and read the manual in about 10 min and I was going to wait until this weekend when i could have a friend help but I could not wait to see if it would make a difference with my set up .:cool:

so to start you do deck first to find that clip point and then you can do the rest of the system after that .

Now I always thought before I did this that my ear was good and I am a IASCA SQ judge so I thought my clip point was around 38/50 (and it was)well after using the DD-1 and there set up disk exactly how they tell you and tweaking the settings on the deck it is now 45/50 so thats a +#1 right there. Now I know if I turn it up to 46 I will be clipping the deck. (good to know for comps 45 is my magic number ):thumbsup:

next you do the full Chanel amp or amps depending on your set up.

Its Super easy to do you just leave you deck on there settings.(flat)
Then you unhook the speaker leads but leave the RCA's in and they tell you what tracks to use on there disk. Turn you gains all the way down.Turn your deck it up to your magic # (45 in my case ) play the track your suppose to (they have Sq and Spl tracks depending what you want your system to do)And slowly turn up the gain until you see the clipping indicator light come on and then you turn it down a little until the light stays off. DONE !! once again you have properly set the amp like a Pro !! Repeat if you have a 4 Chanel or more amps for mids and highs.

And for the sub amp or amps you do the same play the tracks they tell you to depending if you are doing the Sq or Spl and you are Done !!

now just plug everything back in and you system is leveled like a Pro !!

Then you can set your crossover points and tune it by ear or with a RTA and know that your system sounds the best it possibly can . NO CLIPPING or DISTORTION in the system...:congrats:
On my car I wont know for sure until I hit a TL but I can defiantly feel more pressure. Like I may have gained a couple of DB it is Defiantly better than it was on the Spl setting on the DQXS and my SQ on the DQXS is even more amazing .I was just so you all know running about 3/16 gain on the mids and highs before starting this . now I am running 3/8 on the highs and 1/4 on the mids and I was running 1/8 on the subs and now 5/16 on the subs so all good changes.

BUT like I said I thought I had a good ear for setting up a system UNTIL today LOL:rotfl:

03JGMonte 09-29-2011 03:15 PM

Man i could deff use one of those lol

Blazed SS 09-29-2011 03:23 PM

Man I don't normally do Reviews unless I truly believe in it .This thing is mind blowing good !! And easier than a O scope the old way of doing it . I will be doing my wifes system next she has a aftermarket deck and mid and high 4 channel amp and a sub amp and then it is on to my daughters car Aftermarket deck and a sub amp and probably all my friends cars 2 at no charge !! I just like clean sounding systems !!
I wish you lived closer man !!

03JGMonte 09-29-2011 03:28 PM

Yeah me too lol i still needa put in my door speakers & 6x9s in ive got 2 12s with a t1500 & it dosnt sound too good lol im not too good at adjusting sound might be a good excuse for a road trip lol :rotfl:

Boxman420 09-29-2011 03:45 PM

im so glad you like it man! i ordered mine some time ago but its in the mail now and will be here tuesday. im pretty excited! i tuned my system pretty generously. so i cant wait to see the improvements.

Franks 03SS 09-29-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 368504)
im so glad you like it man! i ordered mine some time ago but its in the mail now and will be here tuesday. im pretty excited! i tuned my system pretty generously. so i cant wait to see the improvements.

then you'll do mine? :D

Boxman420 09-29-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss (Post 368510)
then you'll do mine? :D

lol id do yours. :thumbsup:. i plan on using and testing it out at a competition in tavares next saturday. just to see what i hit on the TL

Blazed SS 09-29-2011 05:02 PM

sounds like a great plan !!! Guys !!

Boxman420 09-29-2011 05:04 PM

thanks for the review man! i appreciate it. i saw you on the SMD forums and was hoping you would say something about it. :thumbsup:

03JGMonte 09-29-2011 05:18 PM

Man u guys need to live closer to me lol