Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Battery Relocation & Venting (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/battery-relocation-venting-39587/)

zzapultimate 10-22-2012 11:42 PM

Battery Relocation & Venting

I'm pretty sure I'm going to relocate my battery to my trunk. I want to clean up my engine bay and make some room for a new FWI I'm building. I've been doing a lot of research on it lately and have it all figured out except for a couple things. One is about venting. I plan on using my Interstate battery that I have in the car now. I've heard that if you relocate the battery to the trunk and you aren't using a dry cell battery like a yellow top, then you need to have a vent to outside of the car to exhaust gasses that can come off the battery. So how serious is this? Do I need to rig up a venting system? I see some people who have the vents, but most people don't or are using a dry cell battery. I want to put the battery right behind the seat, so it will be between the seat and the sub box and right next to my amplifier which is quite convenient.

So do I need to vent it? Recommendations on battery boxes?

Thanks!

lougreen03 10-23-2012 12:07 AM

Here are a few links. Also I heard modern batteries dont need venting if they are a sealed case. Maybe someone else will know for sure

Summit Racing SUM-G1231 - Summit Racing® Premium Battery Boxes - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Battery Boxes at SummitRacing.com: Boxes that are sealed, plastic, aluminum, metal, stainless steel to protect your battery

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10270/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rm=battery+box

zzapultimate 10-23-2012 12:12 AM

Thanks for the links. My battery is definitely 'modern' since I bought it two years ago. I'm not sure what would be considered a 'sealed case' though.

01 Monte SS 10-23-2012 12:54 AM

This is a very hard topic lol... I was lucky enough to have a gift card to Advance Auto so I bought a Yellow Top at the same time as I did the relocation.

I don't want to tell you it's safe to just put it in the trunk without a venting system, and then have something terrible happen. If you do a venting system, how do you plan to do it? I'm not sure how I would go about it lol..

If you do it, will you be putting some remote terminals in the engine bay? I have a positive and negative terminal on my fuse box but they aren't hooked up yet. Still figuring out how I want the final design to be.. I'm picky and I want it to last lol.

These are the cables I went with for mine, was just enough to put it right behind the seat. I'd assume your car to have fairly similar dimensions, but I'd measure to make sure you get enough.. Wouldn't want to be short, since it's not cheap stuff! Link: Summit Racing Battery Cable Kit 2-Gauge Side Post 150" Positive 12" Negative Kit on eBay!

Looking forward to your progress and to see the FWI :thumbsup:

And as for boxes. I'd say any Taylor Aluminum or Summit box would do, just depends on how much you want to spend. If you just wanted to buy a cheap mounting kit and drill some holes, that would work well too. Might be safe to try and find a sealed box though, even though I'm not sure you'll need it with a newer battery.

zzapultimate 10-23-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS (Post 503502)
This is a very hard topic lol... I was lucky enough to have a gift card to Advance Auto so I bought a Yellow Top at the same time as I did the relocation.

I don't want to tell you it's safe to just put it in the trunk without a venting system, and then have something terrible happen. If you do a venting system, how do you plan to do it? I'm not sure how I would go about it lol..

If you do it, will you be putting some remote terminals in the engine bay? I have a positive and negative terminal on my fuse box but they aren't hooked up yet. Still figuring out how I want the final design to be.. I'm picky and I want it to last lol.

These are the cables I went with for mine, was just enough to put it right behind the seat. I'd assume your car to have fairly similar dimensions, but I'd measure to make sure you get enough.. Wouldn't want to be short, since it's not cheap stuff! Link: Summit Racing Battery Cable Kit 2-Gauge Side Post 150" Positive 12" Negative Kit on eBay!

Looking forward to your progress and to see the FWI :thumbsup:

And as for boxes. I'd say any Taylor Aluminum or Summit box would do, just depends on how much you want to spend. If you just wanted to buy a cheap mounting kit and drill some holes, that would work well too. Might be safe to try and find a sealed box though, even though I'm not sure you'll need it with a newer battery.

Thanks for the input!

I've seen most people just use a flexible hose of some sort and drill a hole in the trunk floor and stick the hose out there. I don't really get that because would the gases the battery gives off be lighter than air and want to go up? Anyway, I'm still torn on weather to get a sealed box or just rig up my own mounting system and forget about it. The boxes are pretty expensive, especially the sealed/vented ones.

There is already a remote positive post up front in the engine bay. Stock, the battery is burred underneath the washer reservoir, so there was a need for remote terminals then. I will probably just use the same terminal, and then the ground can be clamped on anywhere.

I'll see if anyone else has an opinion before I start :thumbsup:

Enzo354 10-23-2012 07:51 PM

Do the 5th gens have that flapvent in back like the 6th gens do?

As for venting being important, the 2000 ish Bonnevilles have the battery under the seat, I'm not sure, but I think they actually just vent to the trunk.

01 Monte SS 10-23-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 503761)

As for venting being important, the 2000 ish Bonnevilles have the battery under the seat, I'm not sure, but I think they actually just vent to the trunk.

What's this flapvent you speak of?

zzapultimate 10-23-2012 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 503761)

I'm not sure what the flap vent is..?

And interesting.. I'll look into that

Enzo354 10-24-2012 09:01 PM

If you take out the carpet in the trunk of a 6th gen, down low in the passenger side hole, kind of in front of the tail light, there is a vent. It's a very weird looking thing and was letting A LOT of dust into my car.

zzapultimate 10-24-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 504097)
If you take out the carpet in the trunk of a 6th gen, down low in the passenger side hole, kind of in front of the tail light, there is a vent. It's a very weird looking thing and was letting A LOT of dust into my car.

No idea.. I'll have to look for it on mine. Are you saying that would be a place that a vent tube could be ran out?