Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Amp overheating? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/amp-overheating-28124/)

Boxman420 05-11-2011 01:20 PM

Amp overheating?

okay so i have gone out a few times and about 20-30 minutes into driving my amp shuts off and turns back on randomly. i stoped a few times today as it was doing it and looked in the trunk the power light is not lit up. and i burnt my hand touching the amp. i cant push on the remote wire and the power light will flicker on and off. the connections are all good and tight. it works great for those 30 minutes. my amp is a sh*tty boss riot 600 watt amp. can overheating cause it to shut off like that? should i just fork over the money now for that alpine m500? i can easily afford it, just the matter of "having" to spend the money over "wanting". Thanks Guys!

Blazed SS 05-11-2011 01:40 PM

Hey man it is just a cheep amp causing the problem and it is over heating and going in to protect mod and once it cools down it will pop back on until it gets hot again. A case of you get what you pay for on the Boss amp. (It is a very inefficient amp )
The alpine m 500 is the way to go and that is a class D amp so it is a night and day difference on how efficient the alpine is compared to what you have now (the Boss Amp) i would also recommend you look at the Kicker 500.1 IX amps they are small and they never get hot .I am currently running 3 of the Kicker IX series amps (1 500.4 IX and 2 1000.1 IX'S) now under heavy demands for hours and having no problems what so ever

red04montels 05-11-2011 01:44 PM

id go with the m500 too, that's what i have now and like it, i would look into making sure there's no wires touching anything metal causing the wire to heat up.

Boxman420 05-11-2011 01:50 PM

hey blazed thanks for the help man. my brother gave me the boss amp for free so i thought why not give it a shot. and see what happens but its really frustrating to be listening to a song and the sub just stops. i wanted that m500 all along but i wanted to see if the boss amp would suit my needs. ill look into that kicker amp as well.

trewyn, i have looked at the wires everything looks good. i read the ground can cause over heating but that looks good too. i was aware that the amp was garbage from the start so i suspected that once it stopped.

thanks for the assistance

Blazed SS 05-11-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 324026)
hey blazed thanks for the help man. my brother gave me the boss amp for free so i thought why not give it a shot. and see what happens but its really frustrating to be listening to a song and the sub just stops. i wanted that m500 all along but i wanted to see if the boss amp would suit my needs. ill look into that kicker amp as well.

trewyn, i have looked at the wires everything looks good. i read the ground can cause over heating but that looks good too. i was aware that the amp was garbage from the start so i suspected that once it stopped.

thanks for the assistance

Hey man free is a great price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
and we all have tried all kinds of equipment Live and Learn I aways say if you wouldn't have tried it you would have all ways wondered "IF" .
i have used and use to sell a ton of Alpine and they make a good quality amp for sure i just want you to have another good 500 w rms amp to compare the Alpine 500 to :D
Did i miss something about the amp wires getting hot or was it just the amp that was hot ?

Boxman420 05-11-2011 02:07 PM

That is for sure! i thought why not! but its not like money is tight so i planned for alot of money to be thrown into the system anyways. i agree. this car is a huge learning experience for me as it is my first car. but the MCF have helped alot! :). i have a full alpine system right now and im loving it! wires are not hot. just the amp. lets just say if i wanted to make dinner tonight and the grill wasnt working i could cook it on the amp :eek:

Blazed SS 05-11-2011 02:33 PM

LOL copy !!

Milhouse 05-11-2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 324017)
okay so i have gone out a few times and about 20-30 minutes into driving my amp shuts off and turns back on randomly. i stoped a few times today as it was doing it and looked in the trunk the power light is not lit up. and i burnt my hand touching the amp. i cant push on the remote wire and the power light will flicker on and off. the connections are all good and tight. it works great for those 30 minutes. my amp is a sh*tty boss riot 600 watt amp. can overheating cause it to shut off like that? should i just fork over the money now for that alpine m500? i can easily afford it, just the matter of "having" to spend the money over "wanting". Thanks Guys!

Overheating can cause an amp to go into protect, sure. It's called thermal protection. I think your problem is impedance though. I don't just write off a product just because I've never heard of it or because it's not a well known name brand, while those products may not make the power they claim or may be a little more noisy/distorted than the good stuff, they can and will do the job just the same. But in order to help figure out the cause of your problem I'd need to know the model # of your amp, what impedance your sub is and if it's dual or single voice coil, how the sub is wired (if it's a dvc) and how the sub is hooked up to the amp. The fact that it's getting that hot leads me to believe it's just not hooked up right, as in the impedance is too low. That'll do it everytime! But yeah, let me know the answers to my questions and I'll help you out, with no bias:thumbsup:

jaws2008 05-11-2011 02:40 PM

I used to have an all out alpine system at one time... Lets see my setup was I believe..
HU.. CDA 9986
12" Type X
Type R 6x9
Type R 6.5"
PDX 1.1000
MRP-F300 4channel

It was a great setup, but I always had to be changing something so it didnt last too long

Boxman420 05-11-2011 02:47 PM

here is my amp its a boss riot R435, 2ch. i have it hooked to an alpine 12in sub SWS-1242D. dual voice coil. and here is how i wired it exactly. this is also how it showed in the alpine manual that i got for the sub.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...ch-low-imp.jpg