Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Aftermarket Stereo and speaker sizes (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/aftermarket-stereo-speaker-sizes-54333/)

Mcvfd12 09-12-2015 07:11 AM

Aftermarket Stereo and speaker sizes

Hi everyone, i've tried searching and can't find a definitive answer. I have a 2001 monte carlo ss and I'm wondering if my speakers are 6x9 for the rear and 6.5 for the doors? I'll be installing an aftermarket deck as well, so i'm curious how to do that. Do I need to retain the current stock head unit because of all the functions it controls? I've heard you can just move it to the trunk, but I was hoping there was a better way to do it by now that I haven't read about? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

owens91 09-12-2015 07:55 AM

i would like info on this as well

ohara 09-12-2015 11:12 AM

Not certain on speaker size but I can help with the second question of the stock head unit.
No you do not need to relocate it to the trunk, you can reset your lights by either pumping the gas pedal for oil changes, or pulling out the headlight switch etc, etc, there are other options to reset them. I have an aftermarket stereo so I know this for a fact. They used to sell trunk relocation kits for the factory units, and you can probably still get one on ebay, but honestly it is not needed

owens91 09-13-2015 09:10 AM

would one have to get an aftermarket harness? because i tried to put my old radio in before and the harness was not matching up at all

ohara 09-13-2015 05:24 PM

yes you will need a new harness, and door chimes as they run through the current stereo and if you get the same one as I got the door chimes are rather annoying lol, but not much you can do. you will also need an adapter/stereo holder depending on if you get a single din or double din stereo

FAST EDDIE 09-14-2015 01:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did this on my 03SS and it wasn't that bad you do need to get a harness for the new radio but then there are a few items to keep in mind. If you have the factory amp there are some things to know. Your front speakers are a component system and the amp send highs to the tweeter and mids to the woofer. If you replace with a 2 way speaker it will sound off. Plus the factory system uses 2ohm speakers so if you use 4 or even 8 ohm speakers it wont sound as good. Also onstar runs its volume through the factory amp so if you swap it out you cant hear them, but they could hear you. Personally I yanked it all out and started fresh, A pioneer dvd nav head unit with a 5 channel amp with new 6.5 components in the door and 6x9 in the rear, with a custom sub in the trunk. It took some work but you can't beat the sound. Oh and if you want to keep steering wheel controls that will be a pain I never did get the mode button to work, but everything else does. I added some pics so you can see how I mounted everthing. In the second pic you can see I mounted the new amp in the stock amps spot and the crossovers for the front speakers are right there it all fit perfectly with a little work.

305chevydriver 10-14-2015 10:56 AM

if you want to use your factory steering wheel controls you can get a steering wheel audio control adapter from places like crutchfield, amazon, etc. They have kits for cars with or without onstar. also kits for different aftermarket brands. and the doors speakers are 6.5 and the rear are 6x9 ( factory). u can put any size in the doors and back deck if you go custom. I have a pioneer double din and 3 8's and 2 tweeters or each of my front doors. 1 8 inch and a tweeter in the back seat and 2 tweeters, 2 6.5 and 2 8's in the back deck