Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): aftermarket radio installation questions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/aftermarket-radio-installation-questions-55105/)

sconner2127 12-29-2015 11:29 AM

aftermarket radio installation questions

I have a 07 monte carlo lt 3.5 flex fuel. I am installing an aftermarket radio. I have had nothing but issues with this install. I went with the metra radio wiring harness due to not using the on-star or steering column controls. I had to re-pin the harness that connects into the old wiring harness. Next it comes with an external accessory/starter wire for the new harness. I have searched every where and I can not seem to find a sutable wire to tap into. I am asking for an help anyone might give me. Does anyone know of the wire it can be tapped into or where I can run the wire to without it killing my battery.

Barovelli 12-29-2015 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sconner2127 (Post 679142)
I have a 07 monte carlo lt 3.5 flex fuel. I am installing an aftermarket radio. I have had nothing but issues with this install. I went with the metra radio wiring harness due to not using the on-star or steering column controls. I had to re-pin the harness that connects into the old wiring harness. Next it comes with an external accessory/starter wire for the new harness. I have searched every where and I can not seem to find a sutable wire to tap into. I am asking for an help anyone might give me. Does anyone know of the wire it can be tapped into or where I can run the wire to without it killing my battery.

RAP fuse in the passenger kick panel fusebox. Get one of those piggyback fuse taps and you are in business. Don't jab a wire under the fuse blade - the sockets seem to be a bit on the weak side and it will be loose and intermittent.

sconner2127 12-30-2015 11:22 AM

I placed the the cheap plug they give you without the keys in the ignition at all and it powered the head unit up. Every fuse did and was causing a parasitic drain on the battery.

Barovelli 12-30-2015 07:50 PM

Might it be a year thing? I'll snap a picture of it in my car. I use it to power a dash camera and a bluetooth speaker that only come on when in Run or Accessory.

Oh, and RAP is Retained Accessory Power - the power that stays on after shutting off the car. Let's you roll up the windows when the key is out. Were you testing fuses while it was still on?

fatfig 01-08-2016 03:23 PM

just look for a fuse that remains with power until the power is cut off....like when you open the door all power is cut. need a multi meter.... normally a radio fuse or sun roof, or cirg lighter fuse...this may help

montedd 03-14-2016 07:01 PM

I don't know why you are having so much issues.

I have 2006.

I used the schoch one from Walmart.

Wiring diagram for hook up to head unit, plug and play to vehicle harness.

Has the chimes and signal light noise.

The way I read your post you are not trying to retain onstar or steering wheel controls so if so then the one I used is what you want if you don't want any issues.