Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   2007 Monte Carlo LT Amp (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/2007-monte-carlo-lt-amp-17045/)

Joe Bloggs 11-09-2009 08:18 PM

2007 Monte Carlo LT Amp

Can anyone tell me where the stock amplifier for a 2007 Monte Carlo LT is located? Is it a good high quality amplifier or can it be easily replaced with after market amplifier?

Wilco 11-09-2009 08:40 PM

The amps on these cars are good enough to power the stock speakers, but if you're looking to power aftermarket speakers with it, depending on the speakers power handling capabilities you're looking to install, you could be disappointed. (Although I heard people praise the bose system that comes with a few of these cars) I believe the amp for your car sits in a tray under the rear deck where the rear speakers sit. What are you looking to do specifically to the sound system?

Joe Bloggs 11-09-2009 09:03 PM

Actually, I am wanting to improve the sound of the stock stereo system. I am wondering if the stock amplifier is considered to be good or if I could upgrade it. I really don't want to replace the speakers or the head unit. I just want to add a little more power to volume. It seems like other stock Chevy stereos sound a little louder. I rode in a Chevy truck with the same stereo and it sounded louder,, it was lower model too -- no cd player.

Wilco 11-09-2009 09:10 PM

You could replace just the amp but will need an adapter to do so. PAC makes one and there are a couple of others. Just make sure you match your new amp to the stock speakers since they aren't made to handle a lot of wattage.

Dbl_D718 11-09-2009 10:55 PM

Upgrading the stock amp and nothing else would be a total waste IMO. The factory amp and speakers are matched to give the best performance they are capable of. A more powerfull amp would simply over power the speakers and eventually blow them.

Not to mention, the factory power and ground wires for the amp aren't big enough for an aftermarket amp, so you'd have to go through the trouble of running new wires anyway.

Joe Bloggs 11-10-2009 07:54 AM

I appreciate the input. Two last questions.. do you know if there is a "gain" switch on the stock amp like aftermarket amps have that I can adjust to increase the out level?

Also, does anyone else notice distortion from there front speakers when the volume is past the half way mark? I find I have to fade to the rear to reduce this distortion. I have no reason to believe the system is damaged or blown.

mjv247 11-10-2009 09:08 AM

I have an '05 LT. I did notice distortion. I'm running all factory so i always put most of the sound in the back speakers. It sounds a lot clearer. Just a suggestion

Dbl_D718 11-10-2009 10:06 AM

No, there's no gain adjustment on the stock amp. It's not needed since it's designed to run with a specific headunit and speakers; it's already adjusted properly. Gain controls aren't volume knobs anyway, and especially in this situation it would only increase the distortion you hear.

Joe Bloggs 11-10-2009 10:54 AM

Thanks again for all the advice.

I can't seem to find the stock amplifier. I am assuming a 2007 Monte Carlo LT would have an amp. Is that a safe assumption? Any other ideas where it might be located? I know the 2006 and 2007 models are slightly different from the 2000 to 2005 models.

Dbl_D718 11-10-2009 11:01 AM

This is something I'm not sure on as I've never been around an 06/07 Monte Carlo. I honestly don't know if they came with an amp or not. Have you checked in the trunk? My guess would be that it's like the 2000-2005 models, and that it would be mounted in the trunk, hanging from the rear deck just behind the rear seats. Probably just looks like a silver box with a wiring harness running to it. But like I said, I'm not sure.