Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 XM radio for factory system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2004 XM radio for factory system

Does anyone have XM satellite radio in a 2004 car? Looking at my owners manual it lists this as an option but my car does not have it. Just trying to find out what would be needed to upgrade my stock radio for this. I have the AM/FM - Cd-Cassette radio. From doing a search on eBay it looks like there is a separate module for the XM. So I'm thinking I would need to get that and a couple of harnesses and probably the shark tooth antenna...
Has anyone done this?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

XM was an option for 2004. Such as mine did not come with XM, but others did. I added XM to my 04, but did not install the antenna as I only needed it for another change I was up to.
Here is a complete write up on what I did and learned about the process:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...g-heavy-58519/

Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
XM was an option for 2004. Such as mine did not come with XM, but others did. I added XM to my 04, but did not install the antenna as I only needed it for another change I was up to.
Here is a complete write up on what I did and learned about the process:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...g-heavy-58519/
Thanks Jason, so looks like I will need to find a XM reciever and the complete wiring harness and antenna. Would it work with my original radio that is not set up for XM or do I need to take it to a dealer with the Tech II to get it to work? Also do I need to get a 2004 only harness or would a newer one work with the 2004 radio? Does it need to be out of a Monte Carlo or Impala, or could I use the Grand Prix harness? Sorry if you answered these already in your article but I skimmed through it and may have missed something... I see that you just needed the Aux to work for your Ipod or phone plug.

thanks
Dave

Old 08-15-2017, 12:44 PM

10 Year Member

Included in that thread is an excel file. That file has the part number you need for the proper xm receiver. It comes with montes, impalas and a couple other cars. That is the best thing for you to get since you want xm to work (a correct part number).
As for wiring, depends what you want to do. I wanted wiring from a monte/impala so o had the correct length (and because I changed routing, I had to shorten it). Read my thread, I talk a bit about wiring.

To test if the xm receiver will work with your factory radio, you can test with the diagnostic port under the dash. I took a scrap xm receiver harness, using the orb-ii diag port under the dash, connected the harness to it. You only need power, ground and data connections. To connect to the individual pins on the diag port, I used paper clips (wrapped the individual wires around the paper clip and used electrical tape to cover part of the clips so no accidental contact). Once connected, start the car. If your radio is compatible with xm, cycle the bands and xm should show (might say xm lock). If so you are good.
I would recommend you send the xm receiver out to be unlocked (a gm tech-ii cannot unlock it, been there/done that). You can remove a chip like I did, but I read it will not retain xm presets if you do.

That is the quick and short. Read that thread I gave, as that has a ton of info that will answer probably most of your questions.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 PM

10 Year Member

One other note I remembered. If you do a test with a xm receiver via the diagnostic port and the radio does not see it, you may just need a different radio. If you say factory, I have the part number to the radio I am using in my monte in the spreadsheet on my other thread about the xm stuff.

I have been told after what I learned on the subject ppl should get college credits listening to the full scope of what I learned lol

Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM

I have the XM option on my 04 SS Sprchrg. It has the older style flat factory antenna on top just above the back glass. The module is under the carpet on the right side in the trunk. I get a decent signal.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Supercharged. Any way you can post a photo of the antenna that came from the factory in 2004? Would be helpful to know what to look for at the yard...

Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 AM

10 Year Member

This is a pic of the type of xm antenna used on the monte. The grand am's and other gm cars use the same antenna. Gm attaches extension wires to get to the xm receiver.2004 XM radio for factory system-photo857.jpg

Last edited by The_Maniac; 08-19-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Dave, I am currently out of town but will be glad to post one when I return home next week. You can barely see it on top in my forum pic.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SuperchargedMonte
Dave, I am currently out of town but will be glad to post one when I return home next week. You can barely see it on top in my forum pic.
No problem Jason posted a photo of one off of the car so hopefully I will be able to find one...