Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 Monte Carlo SS New Stereo Help (Novice) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/2003-monte-carlo-ss-new-stereo-help-novice-55690/)

DuckDuck 03-11-2016 11:09 PM

2003 Monte Carlo SS New Stereo Help (Novice)

Alright guys, gonna be honest. I know pretty much nothing about installing stereos. My main goal is to replace the factory head unit with one with an AUX port and Blutooth support, something like . However, after some research I've learned that there are a thousand other complications with this. Adapters for chimes, OnStar, and wheel controls are among these. I've read several topics on this, including some on these forums, so it's not like I haven't at least attempted to do my homework. :rolleyes:

Basically, I was hoping that I could get some guidance here. What all I need to buy, how to install it, if I would be better off going to a shop, etc. There's a large group of people here much more experienced than me and some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

sharpeezss 04-06-2016 07:04 AM

it really depends on what you want to keep functional. keep onstar and bypass factory amp and use steering wheel controls or not etc. either way you will need a interface adaptor box of some sort at least that's my impression as I am fixing to do the same thing in my car. if you know nothing about installing it might be best to at least find a friend that can help you. its not really difficult.....its usually just plug and play. basically you will need to buy a install kit that has the spacers required to adapt the stereo to the factory opening and a wire harness adapter. plus the module for the factory extras. decide what you want to keep like onstar and steering wheel controls and weather or not you will keep using the factory amp. then buy the adapter based on that. usually like I said its just wiring the radio to all the adapters and then just plugging it in to the factory harness.

305chevydriver 04-10-2016 03:01 PM

You can install or get installed tons of different head units. Single din or double din. It's really not that difficult to install either one. Of course doing it yourself will save you tons of money. If you're not familiar with removing your dash to get to your radio there are some videos on YouTube or just go to your local junkyard and learn. Tearing up their cars and learning is better than making a mistake on yours

305chevydriver 04-10-2016 03:07 PM

You can install or get installed tons of different head units. Single din or double din. It's really not that difficult to install either one. Of course doing it yourself will save you tons of money. If you're not familiar with removing your dash to get to your radio there are some videos on YouTube or just go to your local junkyard and learn. Tearing up their cars and learning is better than making a mistake on yours