Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   2001 Monte SS front speakers (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/2001-monte-ss-front-speakers-29545/)

Tonedef 07-14-2011 03:13 AM

2001 Monte SS front speakers

I was wondering if the front speakers on the SS premium sound system(can has every option) are the same as the Ls models and even from other years. I have checked every forum i could via google and cant seem to find out.

I ask because my front left 5 1/4 or 6 1/2, which ever is in the door has started to rattle. so obviously it has blown the outer seal and is rumbling against the covering. I have put in a sub and have had it sounding just right for 10 years and 90k miles so i dont really want to add after market speakers because the sound is just perfect for me with the stock speakers and the added Sub for some depth to the sound.

Any help with compatible models and years or a way to find this info would be great. Thanks

walkingonabullet 07-14-2011 05:23 AM

if its rattling, take of the panel and check if you have a loose screw first. it's very possible.

i'm not sure if an SS would have the same as an LS, but the monte carlo comes premium sound system stock, but their areonly 3 verations i think in any given year. the premium, and boss. theirs also a downgraded verstion i think for people who were looking to cut off a couple bucks when they were buying em new.

I do have an entire stock premium sound system laying around, let me know we can cut a deal. in fact, allot of us have this system sitting around. they're 6 1\2" by the way.

Milhouse 07-14-2011 09:08 AM

To answer your question, yes the LS will have the same speakers as in your car so long as the LS has the premium system in it.

Tonedef 07-14-2011 12:07 PM

Thanks U2.

Yes i have pulled the speaker already and the form type material that connects the cone to the outter bracket has crumbled away.
After writing this I am kind of second guessing going to the junk yard for a 2001 speaker due to it will probably have more wear on it since i keep my car clean and the seals on the door havent let any moisture in yet.....were a junkyard speaker.. well who knows heh.

Id like to see if a 2006 would have the same connectors and such. i would assume so for cost reasons.

If anyone wants to sell the front stock pair(figure id get both if its a different year just incase) you can let me know via PM if you dont want to list here.

Id be happy to entertain offers but I am now kinda worried about stock speakers after seeing these crumble in this manor. Might be time to add that second amp and boost the whole system like so many other have it seems.

Thanks again for the info.

Milhouse 07-14-2011 01:58 PM

I would suggest getting a decent 4ch amp and some aftermarket speakers. If you think the stocks put a smile on your face, upgrade to aftermarket and you won't be able to get the smile off your face! Doesn't have to be anything wildy expensive either, I would suggest a decent pair of components for the front and some 3way 6x9's in the back

Tonedef 07-14-2011 02:09 PM

I already have a 4ch but im only using 2 channels(was leftover from another build)

On my 96 monte I constantly had to replace the alt with a full 6 channel setup. It was hard to get to so it sucked.

This generation they put it right on top and easy to get to as opposed to the 96 where it was so far down it almost seemed to be apart of the front drivetrain and suspention:)

I am not opposed to a total after market system(minus the reciever as i like to keep it looking original).If i went to a 6 channel system do you know if they have a better( for lack of a better word) Altinator so the constant power draw isnt causing them to go bad.

I already have 4 gauge and a distribution block set up as i did plan at one time to fully do the system but after just adding the subs, i was quite happy with it.

Are people getting around running the alt's bad by running in line Capacitor's or oversized ALt's?

Milhouse 07-14-2011 05:19 PM

My boy has been running about 2000rms in his car for about 3yrs and hasnt had a problem yet. There are quite a few guys here running 1000 watts plus on stock alts and they're doing fine. Just so you know, its not the number of channels you run that puts a strain on ur charging system, its how much current ur amp is pulling. Its very likely that someone like jaws can pull the same amount of current for his sub amp alone than your 6ch setup all together.

As for if the alt is better, I can only assume it is, but even still it only does 105a, which may or may not be enough for your setup.

Don't spend money on a cap unless you're into SQ comps and already have a solid electrical system, they're a waste of money for the most part.

Tonedef 07-14-2011 06:15 PM

yeah i am only pushing 200 to each sub but will likely have to up that once i amp the rest of the speakers. i still cant see me running 1000 RMS.

I know its not the channels but the amps your pulling. I figured you knew i had a little power in the back with a 4 gauge power wire running though. It was enough to fuel my system in my 96 but thats back when i was invencible and no loud music would ever make me deaf... well no im older and loud with clarity means more then raw power heh.

But thanks again for your help. Once i get access to the for sale forums ill check and see what people have before running off and blowing a paycheck.

Milhouse 07-15-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tonedef (Post 342438)
yeah i am only pushing 200 to each sub but will likely have to up that once i amp the rest of the speakers. i still cant see me running 1000 RMS.

I know its not the channels but the amps your pulling. I figured you knew i had a little power in the back with a 4 gauge power wire running though. It was enough to fuel my system in my 96 but thats back when i was invencible and no loud music would ever make me deaf... well no im older and loud with clarity means more then raw power heh.

But thanks again for your help. Once i get access to the for sale forums ill check and see what people have before running off and blowing a paycheck.

Not necessarily.....if you're happy with the amount of bass you have now you could always adjust your gain down a bit to balance out the mids/highs with your subs if need be. When I say adjust the gain down i'm talking about on your mids/highs amp.