Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   2000 Monte Carlo: Turn signal issues (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/2000-monte-carlo-turn-signal-issues-31118/)

mandill 09-21-2011 12:57 PM

2000 Monte Carlo: Turn signal issues

I know this has been asked before, but I need some advice on my situation, as I think it's a slightly different than the other threads.

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS (cruise control on steering wheel).

Turn signal started intermittently not working. Then it quit working completely. Brights worked, but the lever wouldn't stay "clicked", so I would have to hold it to keep the brights on. The wipers are on the same lever and worked the entire time, no issues with them.

So, bought a new turn signal lever - think it's called the multifunction switch (? - the entire mechanism - had to take the dash apart to replace it, etc.). Signals worked great, brights stay on, everything worked great.

Now, about 2 weeks later, the turn signal started intermittently not working again. Everything else works though...

I've read about the turn signal switch (a $30 part), but not sure if that's what I need or if this is more of an electrical issue? Or maybe we should start with cleaning the contacts?

TIA! :)

nitehawkjcb 09-21-2011 01:17 PM

Sounds like the turn signal switch is failing, but you could start with cleaning the contacts, maybe it will work

mandill 09-21-2011 01:29 PM

Can you tell me more about the turn signal switch? Is it different from the part I just replaced (it was this, btw: Chevy Monte Carlo Turn Signal Wiper Switch for Models (without Cruise Control) at 1AAuto.com with how-to installation video.).

nitehawkjcb 09-21-2011 01:51 PM

I can't tell you more about your car, as you have a 6th gen. I know with 5th gens the multi-function switch is the turn signal switch as well. Perhaps someone else who's more knowledgeable in 6th gens will chime in.

patsycake72 03-31-2012 01:32 PM

I have been reading the posts and am having a similar problem with my 2000 monte with cruise on the steering wheel/but only with the turn signals, they work intermittantly...I am trying to figure out if it is always that high priced switch when the other/ components of the switch ie: lights/wipers work fine? I of course checked the fuse and its fine...but dang that part is expensive! BTW has anyone found a better price on the delco switch my garage quoted me $420 just for the switch and $100 labor geesh!

DRuben 03-31-2012 03:27 PM

The problem is the turn signal switch for both of you guys!

runner3264 04-01-2012 07:05 PM

Hazard switch

I had the same exact issue. Replace your hazard switch. Your turn signals work through the hazard switch. It was a poor design and the switch fails. Buy the Dorman brand and you will be all set

red04montels 04-01-2012 11:23 PM

Wow there's been some threads being brought back today lol

Just replace the switch you'll be fine then

ptnicoli 03-27-2013 03:25 AM

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo LE the turning signals would work when I would turn on then off the Hazard switch, now if I try to use the turn signal the dash board lights go on and it starts buzzing, do I need to replace the Multifunction switch ? or The Hazard switch, and can anyone give me a site to show me how and what tools I would need, Chevy dealer wantts $562.00 just for the multifunction switch and $300.00 to replace it, I found a multifunction switch for $79.00 on Monster Auto Parts, also the cruise control is on the steering wheel not the switch. Thank You anyone