Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   ZZP CAI, Downpipe, Tune? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/zzp-cai-downpipe-tune-29815/)

irace88 07-26-2011 11:56 AM

ZZP CAI, Downpipe, Tune?

Hey all,

So recently I have been thinking about buying a Wizaired CAI for my 04 Supercharged SS. It sounds like a pretty simple install, something I could do in a couple hours on my driveway, right? If so, would it be smart to get a 2.5" ZZP Downpipe as well? I've heard the two mods complement each other. Would the downpipe be fairly easy to install too? I'd rather do this stuff myself than having to pay someone else to do it. It's way more fun and less expensive.

If I would choose to install these two parts, would it be necessary for my car to be tuned professionally? How much gain in HP would I see, and what would the cost really be for that. I've heard $500 for the tuner, and then another $500 for the tune. That's pretty spendy. However, I'm just worried about screwing up my daily driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sparky-88 07-26-2011 12:11 PM

I'm very happy with the ZZP downpipe w/Magnaflow Cat I installed last year. In theory it's a simple job - remove 4 bolts & stock downpipe then bolt-in the ZZP downpipe. In my case, the two hard-to-reach bolts toward the engine were too seized for me to loosen. I ended up having a local shop do the work. It was very simple for them; only charged me $35.

ChibiBlackSheep 07-26-2011 01:38 PM

When you are supercharged you want the 3" Downpipe.

A tune will always help the L67, but it's not necessary after only those 2 mods.

xxtheshockerxx 07-26-2011 03:24 PM

welcome to the site. good to see fellow Iowans on here

bumpin96monte 07-26-2011 05:27 PM

CAI and DP are about the easiest mods you can do in your driveway.

Only way to screw up your car installing a CAI is if you don't tighten the filter or hoses properly, and they come off- and suck in debris- or if you ever clean the filter and over-oil it, then you can mess up the MAF.

As far as the DP goes- its pretty idiot proof. Only 4 bolts and 1 O2 sensor to remove. Just make sure you soak them in PB Blaster or something similar just in case they're really rusty.

Are you looking at the DP with or without a cat? If you get one without- you will trip an engine code. The car still runs fine, and its no big deal- but the light will be on, and you will fail emissions (if you have to take them). You don't absolutely need a tune to get rid of it. You can buy a canned tune from a vendor for $100-150; have a local person turn the code off (likely for well under $50)- or buy an O2 emulator.

Also X2 on going 3" with the downpipe. 2.5" is for the NA people.