Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake runners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb Intake runners?

On ZZP i saw a curious item. I think it was called an HV runner intake? Unfortunately i dont have internet so im posting this from my phone and ccant post a link to it. It advertised something along the lines of 30hp in 30 minutes. the only drawback being the fact that it cost quite a bit for what is really just a peice of plastic. Anyway i was wondering if anyone could give me some input on its effectiveness. Lately ive been playing with the idea of trying to make an insert like this myself. My first question being if anyone here has tried running their monte with the stock insert removed and whether the increased turbulence was worth the extra flow. The second being if someone might be able to post some pictures of the ZZP insert so i could get a better idea of how i might be able to make one. lastly since this is being posted from a 5 year old cell phone i was wondering if a mod might be able to fix any major grammatical errors and perhaps hit enter in a few spots of this post for easier reading lol .

Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Yes the HV intake will fix your fhone gr8t lol Sorry No clue what can fix your phone as dont know what kinda phone it is. On to the real question.

the HV is very good from what i hear. i wouldnt remove the stock insert. only if you go turbo do you want to do that. the insert is making the other half of the intake runners. runner design can make or break an engines Tq and HP. as long as you have that U bend removed there is plenty of power to pick up from one of these inserts.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an HV3, and I put it on the same time that I did the ER Rockers. It's not giving you 30hp, in the Upper RPM band and highway speeds the car falls on its face. This helps during THAT situation to give you an even powerband.

Example, you have a 200hp car at lower speeds, at higher speeds the car just dies, let's say it drops down to 170hp at that situation. This helps you get that back to 200.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Exactly what Chibi said. I have an extra HV3 if you would like. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member

Alright I'm at a computer now, I'm assuming I triple or quadruple posted that since my phone kept saying I never entered a title so sorry lol. Evening the powerband is exactly what I've been wanting to do, and while the insert sounds great it still seems a bit overpriced.

Zipper- If you could take some pictures of the extra insert, and perhaps give me some rough measurements, I'd really appreciate. I'm more of a DIY guy when it comes to these things and I'd like to try my hand at fabricating one. If that fails then I'd probably be interested in buying your extra one.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

In general, if I recall my HV3, it's about 1-2 inches thick, pretty flat on top and bottom, and raises the base of the UIM that thickness.
If you were to take the UIM off and pack it with something like clay) and then cut the lower 1-2 inches, you'd have something you could make a casting from. Couple of things to keep in mind the material you make it from needs to handle the heat of the engine.
I don't know what Zipper wants for his, but in time and effort, I'm betting he's more worth while in cost for a used HV3 then fab-ing one.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the DIY itch (hence my modded L67 throttle body and my port matched intake done myself).

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member

Forgot i started this thread lol. I opened up the runners quite a bit, probably killed the structural stability but they work. Driving it with them is bittersweet, bitter because with my gutted air box my car had an amazingly mean intake roar in second gear which is now gone, sweet in the fact that the roar was the engine struggling to breath and the car moves a lot better now. Just like everyone said i didnt get any real gains, but i freed up what feels like a LOT of power in the high end. I got an extra set of runners for $5 at a junkyard in case i messed up and only spent around 20 minutes cutting them open. Definitely worth the time