Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   u bend removal (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/u-bend-removal-650/)

batman 07-18-2005 07:31 AM

u bend removal

ive been seeing a lot discussion on the u bend removal topic, it sounds interesting but does the u bend have to be replaced, or can it just be "removed", and what does it do to the car?? i think the resonator swap for the glasspack is cool but does it alter the sound??

montejass 07-18-2005 11:01 AM

RE: u bend removal

ORIGINAL: batman

ive been seeing a lot discussion on the u bend removal topic, it sounds interesting but does the u bend have to be replaced, or can it just be "removed", and what does it do to the car?? i think the resonator swap for the glasspack is cool but does it alter the sound??
The Ubend requires a replacement to a straight pipe. The Ubend is located right before the CAT towards the engine and also has an O2 sensor screwed into it. Swapping the resonator with a glasspack/race muffler will be much louder but will be much quieter than a complete removal of the resonator.

batman 07-19-2005 06:23 AM

thanks. how much am i looking at spending on this? and how much horsepower will i gain?as far as the glasspack swap thing im not sure, my car is pretty loud considering im running straight pipe with no mufflers, but if its worth the gain ill do it, what do u suggest?

p.s. im new at engine work so thanks for putting up with all the questions.

montejass 07-19-2005 10:43 AM

The Ubend removal will net you 8HP and should cost somewhere around $75 - $150 to make and install. You can buy a prefab part from ZZP but it will just add cost to the install. Have you local muffler guy make on for you.

The glasspack will make it louder especially considering your not running any mufflers. The glasspack or race muffler may make it sound deeper though which would be a huge improvement I am sure not to mention a few extra ponies.

o4supercharedss 07-29-2005 01:25 AM

My local mechanic made and installed my straight pipe 50.00 out the door....Can't say I really noticed a big horse power gain but I have been driving around in Chicago and it made it up in the 100 deg. last week, I need me a nice cool fall morning then see how it feels!!!

montejass 07-29-2005 11:23 AM

You probably won't notice as much of a difference as a NA 3800 cause your boosted. $50 is cheap. Did that include the bung for the O2 sensor?

01pacecar 08-04-2005 11:29 AM

does changing out the u-bend hurt low end torque, or kick on the BIG yellow light. www.montestore.com lists a prefab pipe I was thinkling of trying.

montejass 08-04-2005 12:43 PM

The Ubend delete will improve low end torqe and overall power by 8HP. This mod should not affect the sensor at all. In GM's infinate wisdom they put that Ubend there to protect the O2 sensor.

04MonteLS 08-04-2005 02:31 PM

$75 for that prefab, I think you'd be able to get it cheaper at a local muffler shop.

montejass 08-04-2005 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

$75 for that prefab, I think you'd be able to get it cheaper at a local muffler shop.
Supercharged got his done for $50, I just got a quote for $70. Can't beat that, $8.75 per pony at the higher rate.

I paid $28.75 per hp gain for my Hypertech programmer. I would say this mod by far is well worth it.