Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

U bend delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Default U bend delete?

What is the U bed delete and does removing the resonator add power?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Default RE: U bend delete?

Here is a pic, what is does, it allows the exhaust gas to run straight through, instead of going through the "U-Bend", it well give a pretty good hpgain,and removing the resonater, will gain hp, and also your exhaust well be louder.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 PM

ok thanks I think I might get this done this week
does anybody have a clip without the resonator with stock mufflers?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yeah, resonator is just something to make california and the feds happy i think, not much point in it or the u bend really. gm quality for ya.... btw, ahs anybody took a good look at the back side fo a dodge avenger or any new dodge really? has anybody see nte hsize of the muffler on those things? WOW

Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 PM

The resonator helps remove drone from the cabin. Alot of the younger crowd don't notice/appreciate this. The Monte is next to whisper quiet when ideling when the exhaust is stock. Very quiet. Pulling the resonator puts this annoying drone in the cabin.

Some guys don't mind this, but women do and when I'm taking a new girl out I want to appear interesting and new, not the average guy. It is much more difficult to have a good conversation with an ongoing whine. You may not notice it right away, but turn the stereo off and try to be as quiet as possible - as if you were trying to pay attention to a conversation - and it will become annoying right quick.

As for the Ubend, in theory it was a good idea for what they were trying to do and that was to protect the O2 sensor. In practice it sucks! Their goal was to make sure that if you were driving over brush or some other obstacle that the O2 sensor didn't snap off. Having it placed above the exhaust is the best protection, but looses a decent amount of horsepower from the exhaust. About 5 HP.

Resonator delete is only worth 1 HP and the excessive noise isn't worth it in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Forget that, I'm going to LOVE that noise!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stupid young guy

Besides, seriously, a girl getting in a car with me had better enjoy my car, even if it DOES have a drone. :-p Windows up, idling below 2500, I oughta be alright.

Besides, it gives me a cover to fart =-o

Haha

Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Where can you get the u-bend delete? Is it something that has to be fabricated, or can you buy one at a place like Summit or Jegs?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM

you can go to wbodystore.com ZZPerformance.com 3800performance.com ect and get a replacement down pipe or just the Ubend delete. but i think it is jsut cheeper for an exhaust shop to fab one up. its just a tube with an O2 bung.

i agree the drone at low speed can get anoying. but its all in what your trying to do with the car... if you want it a quiet daily driver i would leave it. if you want a beast then redo everything! and i mean EVERYTHING. personally i wanted it to still be a DD but wanted nice flow and not too much noise ... im runing a HF cat, round muffler where the resonator was (reduces drone) a glass pack and then dual pipes out the back. very deep sound at idle and low throtle and a good roar when i get on it. girls that ride in the car love it! they are always like I love the way your car sounds/looks so i guess i hit it right on the nail. and thne you just toss the car thru its passes and give it a good run and they are grining!

just plan you mods first and then go about doing the exhaust... everything needs to be balanced in any perf car.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can't stand a quite car, i want to hear my car a little as i ride down the road. it actually bothered me when trying to start my car that i could not hear ti start, iwould actually leave hte door open or crack the window. after i got my exhaust sytem i could close the door and start the car!!! woo hoo.. i drove an old pick up before this and honestly, i love a good loud car, but i don't want one. i like a good sounding, fairly quiet car. its kind of like how i love a battle tank, but i wouldn't want to own one (too many questions get asked).

Old 10-02-2007, 02:41 PM

I come from the sleeper school where it is more GO and not as much show. Having a loud exhaust just attracts attention - alot of times the unwanted kind. But then when someone waxes you with your loud exhuast its just something more they can smack out of your mouth.

Speak quietly and carry a big stick is my motto.

Quick Reply: U bend delete?