Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   True fender well intake you can affored and build at home (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/true-fender-well-intake-you-can-affored-build-home-1084/)

mickey 11-20-2005 07:32 PM

True fender well intake you can affored and build at home

Ok here ya go i finally got around to figureing mine out i dont have pics yet due to it being so damed cold here my camera is hating me right now LOL and i dont feel like sititng out side for a hour to let teh lens cool off enough to not fog.
But here ya go all the parts are off of a car you should beabel to find in a local bone yard. ( If i can in germany you can in the states)
And a cone filter from your favorit auto parts store

1. The parts from the bone yard
Fine a Ford escape and get the plastic tub from the throttel body to the fender well .
Also grab the clamps from it so you have them incase you dont want to buy more later

2. take your air box out.
3. Get the computer tray from a Grand Am with the computer mounted on the bat. pax side of the car. They are around the 90's models the older version has them and they mount with like three 10mm screws in to the same place as our batteries do now. they are under the fuse panel in the front fender (easy to get to i did it with a gerber and a 1/4 drive set you can get it out with next to nothing.

3. install the new home for your computer in to your fender well (might requier a bit of drilling or modifying of the new tray to make it work i screwed mine down to a peice of aluminum i had here and drilled it to match the facory holes that were there.

Next get some metal banding from the auto parts store or make a strap to hold the computer down in the new tray I used some nice chrome strap i had here form a restoration project i was doing in the states.

4. after you get it mounted and the computer put in.

5. take your new hard plastic hose from the ford and put it in the end of the hose that comes off of your throttel body . use a hose clap to make sure it dont come off . By doing it this way you dont have to worry about trying to strech a hose over the 4in od throttel body and it will also retian the factory hose and fittings for your sensors.

6. Run the new plastic tube to the fender well on the pax side.
7. Then attach your new filter to the hose and clamp it in to place .

i added a 90deg. elbo on mine and it streched it in a bit farther to the fender well and down to just under my front head light and lower fender mounting points on the 6th gen car.

So i took a clamp and made one that would have a screw point in to it so i could add a small screw to attach it to the fender and also help take soem of the weight off of the assembley so it wont com off while driving.

you can do this in a after noon in less then a hour.
I used the extra places that i could to hold the cabels and such that were just flopping around in the fender on my car from the catory they now attach to the ford tube and it looks like it is suposed to be there .

Also you can used some zip ties to hold it all in place also but i chose the big hose clamps to make sure i could do it and take it off at will and not ahve to replace the hose clamps to.

the only thing i had was a cone filter and it has a chrome cover over it kinda like the new wepon r kit you can buy for a arm and a leg. It was a cover i had gotten from someone i knew and it had a elbow on it also. But you could use a peice of pipe and get it bent cheap.

the car has better throttel response and when you start it it will suck the paint off of the car.

Huge diffrneces so far will keep you posted if i notice any other changes in gas milage etc. but so far it seems to have added some miles to the tank. I havent filled it up this week yet and still over 1/4 tank. Normally i fill atleast once a week.

I figured this out while helping a frend put his brand new 200.00 wepn r intake on his ford escape. I was going to pitch the tubes that he took off and didnt want any more then started looking at it and figure i would see if i could get it to work with the other parts i had laying around. the only thing i had to go to the bone yard for was a computer tray. I w

03SSdriver 11-21-2005 12:32 AM

RE: True fender well intake you can affored and build at home

Some pics would be great when you can take some.

Tj

mickey 11-21-2005 11:43 AM

if you get the peice from the ford escape then you can almost see how it gose togeather with out a pic.

But i do plan to take it back out and see about gettign a frend that works with fibre glass to see if he can make me one out of carbon fiber now that i have it the way i want to . and also when i do this i will take off the extra hose holder that is not used in my car but is on the ferd junk it came out of.

Mine also came out of a 4 banger im not real sure if the 6 cyc. has the same pipe thought i should say that to . But if the T/B is in the rear of the motor about center to the truck i think it would work also.

But it is defently sucking some air now!!
With it and the U bend taken out defent diffrence between mine and a bone stock car. I have a advatage there is one in our club that when we park side by side they look like a before and after picture LOL Hers is completly factory stock nothign changed other then fluids and filter to a K& N air filter on it now.
but it is a drop in .

montejass 11-21-2005 12:31 PM

Mickey..... So when do I get my carbon fiber FWCAI kit? X-mass is right around the corner, and I can assure you, I have been a good little boy...

mickey 11-21-2005 03:04 PM

I need to get ahold of him to find out when he has time but i hope to have mine done real soon , As far as yours gose hey we can do that let me find out what the cost will be . Still goign to be cheaper then comming to your house for the SEMA show i never got the tickets for LOL

But i will ask him about it as soon as i see him.
It dose work great but makes the car sound like you should change the vac. bag also when you change the oil LOL
once it warms up it is not so bad.

montejass 11-21-2005 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

I need to get ahold of him to find out when he has time but i hope to have mine done real soon , As far as yours gose hey we can do that let me find out what the cost will be . Still goign to be cheaper then comming to your house for the SEMA show i never got the tickets for LOL

But i will ask him about it as soon as i see him.
It dose work great but makes the car sound like you should change the vac. bag also when you change the oil LOL
once it warms up it is not so bad.

SEMA was worth the trip. You should have come along... lol I told you all you had to do was meet me there and I could have gotten you in.

Does your buddy get a good deal on Carbon fiber mat??? I'd like to try to make one myself.

mickey 11-22-2005 05:31 AM

i was sitting here with my bags packed but you never sent the ticket!!!!

I will ask him where he gets it from if he will tell me i will let you know. I know he dose work with it alot. he says it is no diffrent then working with regular fiberglass for the most part it is abotu the same thing .

this thing is so easy to fit to the car that i was in shock. the biggest thing i want to do right now and why i want him to remake it in glass is so i can get rid of the tubes with the ridges that are one both the org. one for the monte and also the plastic pipe i used. But if i were to cut them off i would lose to much in length.

the part from the ford escape was a direct clamp in that is why it was so nice to find it. all i did was stick it in the end of the one i have now and take the air box out completly. then i had a 90deg. elbow that was out of alum. and a cone filter on it so i stuck it in the end and clamped it doen on the pipe and it made it so it gose threw the fender in to the well right behind the old air box. so i dont get water in there and it is high enough i wont get it splashed on ethier.
when i get some more cash i will more then likly change the filter to a bigger cone so it wont suck so hard threw this one. but other then that it works great. I had to make some fender mounts for it so i have gotten one done but the other one is coat hanger right nwo till i can get it finished and make it waht i want. but it is the off seson right now so no points will get lost over it :)