Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Exhaust Build: TOO LOUD after exhaust build (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/too-loud-after-exhaust-build-56594/)

GTHSS 07-04-2016 06:36 AM

TOO LOUD after exhaust build

Well, after 3 months and several thousand miles I am tired of the loud exhaust. It really sounds mean and turns heads... but I put 90 miles a day in it and I am tired of the noise. Maybe I am getting old.

I need advice on how to mostly silence the exhaust. Initially I had the Magnaflow mufflers added and the resonator removed. It was loud with good tone but had a significant drone. Once I added the quality ZZP downpipe and HF converter it is downright beasty sounding! If it were just a weekend toy I would not change a thing! However, since most of my daily drive is at 55 - 65 mph and I am pulling moderate hills constantly the cabin gets filled with excessive drone. Too much. My wife and daughter do not like riding in it because of the loudness. Only my son likes hearing it.!

I want to keep the high flow converter, so should I just add a resonator back or mufflers and res? I want go back with stainless mufflers even if they are quieter, the Magnaflow's I have do look good. Maybe Magnaflow or another brand makes a quieter model with just some low tone. I will probably go back to stainless round/rolled tips instead of the slants I have.

What do you all recommend?

ohara 07-04-2016 06:42 PM

I would start with just adding the resonator back. I have one on my car and I don't find the drone too bad, I am running dynomax mufflers with the zzp high flow downpipe and cat

GTHSS 07-04-2016 08:05 PM

Thanks Ken!

nitehawkjcb 07-05-2016 11:08 PM

Reduce the size of the exhaust tips.

JuniorCar 07-06-2016 07:13 AM

Throw those Magnaflow mufflers right in the garbage! That is exactly what I did. Aside from my ZZP downpipe, my exhaust is totally custom 3". And initially I installed Magnaflow's. After the job, I drove that thing all the way to Talladega and back. My wife and I could barely talk the entire trip and I hated it. I suppose they were good mufflers, but the car sounded like a airplane. When we got back from the trip I replaced them with ENORMOUS polished Solo mufflers and I had to replace the tips too because the old new ones were to long to fit these enormous mufflers. The same guy who built the exhaust system was the only guy I trusted to make the new mufflers fit. He had to do some more bending, but in all honesty and modesty, I've never heard a better sounding Monte Carlo (with a V6 at least). It is only loud under throttle

Big mufflers matter. Little ones can't get it done

GTHSS 07-06-2016 11:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback John and Brent.

John do you think the size of the tips affects the noise level or are you just talking about how they look.

Brent I will look into the Solo mufflers. I found the sight for the Solo mufflers, they are pretty things. Are you running a resonator and if it is a Solo do you know wich style and size you have?

I got to do something, it is too loud.

JuniorCar 07-06-2016 08:10 PM

I do have a large 3" resonator and it's long too. But it isn't Solo, it's made by AP Exhaust. I always heard that the resonator would be the key to stopping the cabin drone, but I had it on there with the Magnaflows and to be honest, I don't think it does a thing. If I had it to do over I'd probably leave it out, but then maybe I wouldn't be as happy with the sound.

I'm telling you, the finish and quality on those Solo Performance mufflers are second to none. My mufflers look like they were spun because they are completely seamless, even at the inlet and outlet pipes. I'm pretty sure its just welded and polished out tho

INTMD8R3 07-06-2016 09:23 PM

Post some video and pictures.........there are some very happy Magnavox customers here. Let's see what ya got!

INTMD8R3 07-06-2016 09:24 PM

Darn auto correct. Magnaflow!!!!

GTHSS 07-07-2016 11:41 AM

I will work on that this evening!