Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Thoughts on 5th gen. y-pipe? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/thoughts-5th-gen-y-pipe-34585/)

indiana3433 03-01-2012 01:13 AM

Thoughts on 5th gen. y-pipe?

Hey guys, right now i have deleted my resinator and and have a 24" Thursh glasspack. I like the way it sounds wth pipe after it but am looking to do something a little different here. I was thinking....
Catback 2.5" pipe, Y-pipe just after the cat. then straight back to (2) 24" glasspacks or maybe some flowmasters (magnaflow) something. Whats your thoughts on this idea. If I go with with that packs, I will have pipe after the pack. Thus, reducing the sound imenesly. Also I want to go with the larger 2.5" pipe because I want to make the sound deep as possible.

03SSLE 03-01-2012 08:02 AM

Everyone has their own idea as to what sounds good. What I think will sound good others may think sounds terrible, and vice versa. Your best bet would be to go over to YouTube and search for exhaust sound clips. Then decide what you think sounds best and go with that.

indiana3433 03-01-2012 01:51 PM

Yeah, more or less the Y-pipe is for looks. just have the muffler shop stop the Y-pipe at the begining of the muffler and I will clamp the glass packs on. That way, I only have one clamp, but can take the glass packs off to put quiet mufflers on if I want to sell it. I just like the dual chorme tip on the rear end. and I have a ghetto done exhaut right now. Did it in my garage with brute force and Perma-bond exhaust bonder. It actually worked really well, no leaks with 3 joints. But have you ever done bigger pipes? I know the 2.5 should deepen the sound but dont want to drop back pressure, try to avoid crackling.

NewFish97MCLS 03-24-2012 11:43 AM

I've got a '97 monte ls w/ an exhaust system thats a bunch of rusted different sized pipes just kind of welded together, been searching for a dual system to fit the dynamics body kit but i can't find a damned thing. I was wondering if your idea would be a good solution as to making a custom exhaust fit under my car? Exhaust is my next "fix" once my engines back together and this seemed like it would be a decent idea.

zzapultimate 03-24-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by NewFish97MCLS (Post 439358)
I've got a '97 monte ls w/ an exhaust system thats a bunch of rusted different sized pipes just kind of welded together, been searching for a dual system to fit the dynamics body kit but i can't find a damned thing. I was wondering if your idea would be a good solution as to making a custom exhaust fit under my car? Exhaust is my next "fix" once my engines back together and this seemed like it would be a decent idea.

If you go to a junk yard and get a y-pipe from a z-34 or lumina LTZ it will be a direct bolt on. Just cut it right after the resonator. You can buy some universal hangars at an auto parts store and hang the y-pipe and mufflers at any height you need to fit your body kit. This is what I did on my LS to give it dual exhaust :thumbsup:

Leprechaun93 03-24-2012 01:43 PM

Interesting thought justin, i'd love to some day to a full Z34 conversion. But who knows if that'll ever happen:rotfl:

zzapultimate 03-24-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 439384)
Interesting thought justin, i'd love to some day to a full Z34 conversion. But who knows if that'll ever happen:rotfl:

I am slowly getting there myself! Might just be easier to buy a z-34 :rotfl:

BlownUptoHigh 03-24-2012 02:57 PM

If you interested my stock exhaust will be up for sale once i install my headers, downpipe and catback. It would be coming off a 99 with only 67k miles garage kept

STUMPMI 03-24-2012 07:19 PM

[quote=zzapultimate;439381]If you go to a junk yard and get a y-pipe from a z-34 /quote]

I think thats the best suggestion! (catback duels) Since i have a Z-34.....I went from a set of DYNAMAX's back to turbo mufflers and i just love the tone and theres no resination in side the car......Oh yes i forgot to mention when i ordered it from the factory..I had it sound proofed against road noise....

But sure makes the Sound system sound better as well.....:thumbsup:

red04montels 03-24-2012 11:57 PM

what engine do you have? 3400?

Flowmaster and Magnaflow are different, your post made it seem like you think they're the same thing.

I would go with magnaflow to limit the rasp because in the end, you still have a V6 under the hood and there's plenty of bad sounds that like to come from v6's