Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Summit Fully Welded Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Question Summit Fully Welded Mufflers

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any one has installed these instead of going the more expensive route like Borla, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow. I've searched here and couldn't find anything about them. Some one on here supposedly picked up a set, but hasn't reported back about what his thoughts were. So I've decided to just ask everyone to see if any body has had any experience with these and how they compare to the brand name mufflers.

LINK
Price: $33.95
Brand: Summit
Product Line: Summit® Fully Welded Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: SUM-633221
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Chambered
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Length (in): 13.500 in.
Overall Length (in): 17.000 in.
Thickness (in): 4.000 in.
Width (in): 10.000 in.
Outlet Style: Standard, without tip
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Muffler is reversible.
Muffler, Welded, 2 1/4 in. Inlet/2 1/4 in. Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, Each

Handles more horsepower.
Not only can our Summit® fully welded mufflers handle more horsepower than regular mufflers, they free up even more power, thanks to a low-restriction design. The mufflers also feature large flow tubes, sound-tuned chambers for better sound control, and an aluminized case.

Thanks!

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 05-01-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Photobucket

Or... Summit Race Mufflers?

LINK
Price: $ 28.95
Brand: Summit
Product Line: Summit® Race Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: SUM-638221
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Chambered
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Length (in): 13.000 in.
Overall Length (in): 19.000 in.
Thickness (in): 4.000 in.
Width (in): 10.000 in.
Outlet Style: Standard, without tip
Quantity: Sold individually.
Muffler, Chambered, 2.25 in. Inlet, 2.25 in. Outlet, Offset Inlet, Center Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, Each

More flow equals more horsepower.
These Summit® race mufflers will give your vehicle a deep aggressive tone. Constructed from steel with an aluminized finish they are perfect for your next street/strip project. Available in multiple sizes and configurations to suit your high performance needs.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Photobucket

Well I just asked Professor Overdrive at Summit Racing the following question.

"I'm debating between two Summit brand mufflers, the Fully Welded (part #: SUM-633221) or the Race Mufflers (part #: SUM-638221). I was hoping that you could clarify the differences between the two types. I'm looking more toward the sound differences than performance ones, however I hope you will be able to tell me that as well. Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you!"

I will post his response once I receive it.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will be in the market to replace my 03's Dynomax turbo muffers (one has a hole in it) and this price is up my alley. I wonder if these will fit my car?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Photobucket

I think they would. IDK though. Measure your mufflers or find the dimensions online.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't bother with either- they're both plain old mild steel with an aluminized coating- they will rust out (especially in Indiana w/ the salt).

IMO- getting a stainless muffler is your best bet.

It would be one thing if you were just getting a replacement muffler for a beater, but you've got a newish, nice car- I would think it would be worth the money to ensure they'll last as long as the car does.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is always exhaust paint. I painted my Dynomax system and it held up well. I drove through 3 Chicago winters with that exhaust and it only started rusting at the welds. After 6.5 years the mufflers are rusting from the inside out because of trapped moister in them when I store it.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM

The way I think of it though is- imagine he bought his ~$30k car and it came from the factory with some $30 mufflers that were spray painted to make them last more than a couple years- you'd be pretty ticked off. So, in that- I see it as being a downgrade.

I'm not going to lie- I did the same exact thing when I was 16 and first got my monte. I had the exhaust shop hack off all my good, relatively rust free stock exhaust and replace it with aluminized piping, a chrome mild steel tip, and a $20 painted mild steel glass pack (I figured why pay a bunch of money for stainless when I can get the same increase in sound for 1/3 of the price?)- after having leaky welds repaired twice, going through 2 tips and 2 mufflers, and having it rust through the pipe where they welded a hanger on- I started to realize that I was going to soon end up surpassing the cost of good stuff from the beginning- and all I had to show for it was a bunch of rusty piping.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Photobucket

I see your point... However, do you know for sure that the Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers are stainless steel? I know Flowmaster makes both aluminized and stainless mufflers, but I can't find specific info on what material they're made out of. If you could, that would be helpful.

I personally don't have any problem running to AutoZone to buy high temp paint and spraying my welds and mufflers to ensure longevity. I'm still highly considering these as an alternative. Thank you though for your input. I do appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM

However, do you know for sure that the Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers are stainless steel?
I highly doubt they are- all the pics I see show black mufflers, usually real stainless mufflers don't have a coating/color because they don't need it.

edit- summit says material is "steel" and coating is "black aluminized", so they for sure aren't stainless either.

Quick Reply: Summit Fully Welded Mufflers