Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Single Muffler vs Duals (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/single-muffler-vs-duals-35762/)

pelco 04-16-2012 10:37 PM

Single Muffler vs Duals

So i'm going to be in the market for a cat back in a month or so for my 01 ss but i've been seriously tossing around the idea that one muffler will offer better flow and performance than dual mufflers. I've never really understood the idea of collecting two pipes into one then spliting them up in the back for two mufflers besides looks. I just don't know what the bad side effects of this would be as opposed the good as far as sound goes, or if it would make any difference performance wise. I see better flow but could it drop back pressure too low or cause drone?

Mr Grizzly Mint 04-16-2012 11:05 PM

Ever heard of an X pipe or H pipe? Combining the exhaust is best way to make sure you have equal backpressure on both banks of your engine. You could go with one big pipe If you wanted to but it will sound different. I dont think one will flow better then 2. They would prob be about the same.

red04montels 04-16-2012 11:15 PM

with our cars it really doesn't matter, you're not going to be making enough power for it to matter so you can do whichever one you like better, most people prefer duals on montes because there's cutouts for the tips, it looks weird with just one tip.

ron.m 04-17-2012 06:19 AM

put a new exhaust system on my wifes 2003 3.8 Monte ss now she wants some sound can I get away with putting on just the mufflers instead of going from the cat back

ChibiBlackSheep 04-17-2012 08:08 AM

We really don't have any restrictions in our exhaust in the cat-back, one pipe or 2 pipes out the back, it is just for looks.

red04montels 04-17-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ron.m (Post 448979)
put a new exhaust system on my wifes 2003 3.8 Monte ss now she wants some sound can I get away with putting on just the mufflers instead of going from the cat back

put some magnaflows on it and get a shorter resonator or remove the current one. Anything else will sound raspy. Even with that at high rpms it may sound raspy.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 449004)
We really don't have any restrictions in our exhaust in the cat-back, one pipe or 2 pipes out the back, it is just for looks.

remember good ole' 'uno' back before i had duals? lol

MayoJ1 04-17-2012 09:27 AM

just put a 4" straight pipe. you'll get a mean sound and like +45HP!!

red04montels 04-17-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MayoJ1 (Post 449021)
just put a 4" straight pipe. you'll get a mean sound and like +45HP!!

Or you'll get crappy sound and no back pressure :thumbsup:

MayoJ1 04-17-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 449091)
Or you'll get crappy sound and no back pressure :thumbsup:

:rotfl::rotfl:

pelco 04-17-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 448962)
with our cars it really doesn't matter, you're not going to be making enough power for it to matter so you can do whichever one you like better, most people prefer duals on montes because there's cutouts for the tips, it looks weird with just one tip.

I was behind an LS the other day and noticed one muffler, which did look weird like you say because of the one cutout unused. But i look at it from the standpoint I'd never put dual mufflers on a car that came with one to begin with if my intentions were for performance. But really if it gained next to nothing in hp i'd rather have duals. The dynomax cat back is in my price range but my guess is you get what you pay for. Are there any decent single muffler cat back kits out there? Honestly I want stainless because of the harsh winters in n.e. ohio. just can't spend that kind of money.