Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Screen in TB (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/screen-tb-9259/)

black04monteSS 04-28-2008 05:12 PM

Screen in TB

I have seen this discussed on here a little in the past but i'm still up in the air about wether to take the screen outta my throttle body or not. now my one friend who is pretty hardcore about taking everything off of a car that it doesn't need says to leave it in. but ive heard lots of people saythat it should have been gone likeyesterday... my car is an 04 S/C andhas a K&N CIA on it now so i know the air is filtered good but am i right to worry about taking it out or not? because i know i will have to destroy it to get it out and it wont be re-usable..... Opinions and input please

wiz kidd 04-28-2008 05:21 PM

RE: Screen in TB

i would say no, the amount you gain from the screen is minimal, and if you do and something got through it could really do some damage, is that amount of damage worth 1/2 an hp (if that)?? i didn't do it on mine because i had the cold air intake and it already lets more stuff through than the regular air filter, so i never took the screen off

i would say no, dont do it, its not worth it

mrl390 04-28-2008 05:23 PM

I dont think it would be worth taking out unless you were looking into porting out your TB. Leave it it, you wont feel a difference anyway.

kweef 04-28-2008 05:28 PM

agreed...forget it, may save you one day

black04monteSS 04-28-2008 05:29 PM

Ya i was leaning towards not taking it out anyway... since i didnt do it when i had the intake off but all these people keep tellin me how much better it will run and get me more mileage and im just like its a little freakin screen man how much could it matter

HaRvArDaLe 04-28-2008 06:44 PM

ive had mine out for about a year now....no problems. but i have an aftermarket intake system and NOTHING gets through that thing. debris does get through the stock air box sometimes tho.

bumpin96monte 04-29-2008 08:16 AM

That screen is not meant as some sort of secondary filter- anything that gets through your actual air filter is going to be so small that its gonna go right through that.

Its purpose is to straighten the air for the Mass Air Flow sensor right behind it, so it can more accurately determine how much air is entering the engine.

Its unlikely that you'll have any issues from removing it- some experience a slightly rougher idle and minor tune issues (ideally you'd want to tune it to compensate properly), but since you're almost stock, I don't see any point- its not the restriction in your engine at this point.

z34phoenix 04-30-2008 12:03 AM

bumpin took the words out of my mouth. in a stock car it will do more harm then good to remove it... the maf readings will not be as acurate. leave it alone. if you really want to play with the car... start port matching the TB to the intake manifold. taht will see much more gain and mpg then pulling a screen

bumpin96monte 04-30-2008 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix
start port matching the TB to the intake manifold. taht will see much more gain and mpg then pulling a screen

orat least check the gasket- on my gtp- there was a lot of TB gasket hanging into the airflow path (probably 1/8" on one side) I was pretty suprised.