Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   resonator delete, and gain in hp? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/resonator-delete-gain-hp-7922/)

tlip06 02-13-2008 06:59 PM

resonator delete, and gain in hp?

I have ablack 04 MC SC and i have an exhaust system, u-bend delete, hi-flow cat, and resonator delete.I want totone down the drone a little bit. What could I do?

I also want to know what could i do to gain more hp. I know that the CAI intake will do it but i want to know what else i could do without making anydrastic changes. Should i do the 3' downpipe and about how much power do u think i would have gained with the downpipe and CAI?

Cowboy6622 02-13-2008 07:17 PM

RE: resonator delete, and gain in hp?

i'd guess about 10 hp. what kidn of exhuast system do you have? we'd really need to know that before knowing what to do to "tone the drown down". If you want a quiet, but slightly noticable exhuast, Dynomax is for you.

some people here have had problems taking the down pipe down.. the metal GM uses rusts and gets hard to loosen pretty quick. Most people end up having to heat their bolts up to get them out.

tlip06 02-13-2008 07:36 PM

i want to keep the exhaust system im just debating whether or not to put back on my resonator to keep the drone down. will i lose any power putting back on the resonator

04 Intimidator 02-13-2008 09:05 PM

I would put the resonator back in. From what I've heard there is only a gain of 1-2 hp with it out as it is a pass through muffler and just does some noise cancellation. I keep mine in.

For your exhaust, don't go to 3 inch pipe unless you are looking to be making more than 450 hp. It weighs too much and you don't see any gains. I've heard it can even hamper your performance.

For your mod, get a CAI - Wizaird is the best for performance, KN seems to look the nicest.

Donutboy97 02-14-2008 07:00 AM

put the res. back in, you won't feel a power difference.

for more power consider cai, smaller pully, and a tune.

tlip06 02-14-2008 07:57 AM

On k&n's website it said that the CAI adds 13.7 hp to the monte. If wizaired is better then what are the numbers on it. Also what website could I go to to order it.

04 Intimidator 02-14-2008 10:09 AM

I can't remember the numbers on it, but it was 2 hp better and it scales better with mods. I put those at notes in Word document I made 2 years ago when I was looking at mods.

You will have to search clubgp for the numbers and look for their forums over 2 years ago. I do remember there was dyno testing done and the Wizaird just got better the more you threw at it.

The big reason for this is KN just throws their kit together. Don't get me wrong, they test it and it is a good system, but they just throw out what has worked in the past on Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros. The Wizaird was designed specifically for the Wbody platform.

Anyway, you can get the product through ZZP and they have some detailed info as EasyPerformance who actually makes them.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113
http://www.easyperformance.com/

bumpin96monte 02-14-2008 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator
For your exhaust, don't go to 3 inch pipe unless you are looking to be making more than 450 hp. It weighs too much and you don't see any gains. I've heard it can even hamper your performance.
I disagree- only because he's only looking at a 3" downpipe. I agree with that statement beyond the downpipe- but a 3" DP seems to work well on the L67s.

I put the 3" DP/cat delete on my gtp and I love it. I didn't have any problems getting any of the bolts off either- and it had ~80k on it (up where they use salt in the winters). I've heard some problems- but I got lucky I guess.

what else i could do without making anydrastic changes.
That really depends on what you consider a drastic change.

Basic mods would be:

-DP/ubend delete
-CAI
-180* thermostat
-pcm tune (either via someone with a tuner or buying a canned pcm)
-1.9:1 rockers (just have to pull the valve covers and move some other stuff)
-then a 3.5" supercharger pulley
-PLOG/PEMS

All of those are pretty easy to revert to stock. The worst is probably the rockers- but they aren't terrible to do.

tlip06 02-15-2008 10:37 AM

what site can i get the 1.8 rockers from?

04 Intimidator 02-15-2008 04:23 PM

I got one of the last sets of SLP roller rockers from www.3800performance.com

I went that way as they are more reliable than modded rockers.

You can also goto www.intense-racing.com for another brand.

Modded rockers can be found at those 2 sites and www.zzperformance.com