Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Resonator ? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/resonator-2013/)

J_Bru_Ha_SS 08-03-2006 04:01 PM

Resonator ?

Along with my post about the cat with the U bend delete, I was wondering about the resonator. I would just assume remove it, but I have read nearly every post here and it seems that everyone is using either a glass pack or a race muffler as a replacement. I want the exhaust note to be loud but also as low and clean as possible. I know that a throaty V8 note is not exactly possible. That being said, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what would be the best for the sound volume and quality. Thanks in advance for any replies.

DESS03 08-03-2006 08:13 PM

RE: Resonator ?

i have a turbo tube on mine there is also a vid up on the way mine sounds

z34phoenix 08-04-2006 04:08 AM

i say just leave the cat and res and throw in a side pipe. that is basicly how my system is when i have my exhaust cutout open.

J_Bru_Ha_SS 08-04-2006 03:36 PM

what exactly do u mean by a "side pipe"? This is goin on a stock monte its not gonna be setting any records at the track, I just wanted to get a lil better sounding exhaust note, since I am gonna be replacing the cat I figure why not just swap a straight pipe in for the resonator. But so far that idea hasnt been encouraged. Im not lookin to put a whole lot into this exhaust at this point other wise I would spring for a cat back also.

Paul1965 08-23-2006 10:50 PM

I just had the exhaust done on my 05 LS. I went to the local muffler shop, and the first thing I had them do was cut the resonator out and weld in a straight pipe, then we chopped the muffler off. Once that was done we started the car. I was VERY tempted to leave it as is and just have the duals made. However, there was way too much "kackle" when letting off the gas from higher RPMs. So the next thing we did was hold a glass pack up to the single pipe. While that sounded very nice, I was afraid it would be too loud in the car at cruising speeds. So we decided on a cheap set of turbos. The shop made a Y-pipe and welded the turbos on along with a wicked nice looking set of oval Sliverline T-304 tips. The oval shaped tips really fill out the openings in the bumper, and the exhaust sounds beautiful.

montejass 08-24-2006 10:14 AM

Did you get alot of drone with the glasspack?

Paul1965 08-24-2006 10:06 PM

Yes, for me there was too much drone inside the car with the glasspack. I commute 60 miles a day and didn't want that much inside. Others might like that though. I suggest doing what I did: find a muffler shop (forget Midas or other franchises) and tell them what you want to do, and chances are they'll take the time to work with you. Mine cost $320.00 to have everything done.

J_Bru_Ha_SS 08-25-2006 12:28 AM

Here is my latest idea, and I may be able to use the manufacturing shop here at school to fab it myself. I was thinkin of gettin an aftermarket cat with the ubend delete, take out the resonator and replace it with a turbo race muffler, and then fab a set of dual pipes finished off with a nice set of tips...what do you guys think?

blondeguy64 07-23-2009 07:03 PM

Turbo Tube 07 LT with 3.5L

I had a muffler shop install a turbo tube muffler with two chrome exhausts. I get a nice, deep rumble from the exhaust and the interior sound is not too loud at any speed. I had a Flowmaster 40 seried on a Ford Mustang V6 and it was so loud I couldn't stand driving the thing.
I highly recommend the turbo tube with chrome tips.

ChibiBlackSheep 07-23-2009 07:07 PM

I'm sure after almost 3 years he made a decision :P