Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   resonator (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/resonator-1061/)

victoryred05 11-16-2005 01:03 AM

resonator

now i have been reading all of the post and most of u refer to the resonator. Now my question is WHAT THE HELL IS IT AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED? now it may sound odd but i do know my way around a car im no expert but i just dont know where the resonator is , i probabaly know it as a diff name some please inform me thanks

montejass 11-21-2005 12:28 PM

RE: resonator

The resonator is located between your CAT and mufflers. From the engine follow the pipes, the first football shaped thing is your CAT, the second part will be the resonator, it's quite long I would say about 3 foot long and cylindrical. It is there to quite the exhaust system. I've heard that if you replace it with a glasspack or a high flow race muffler in conjunction with Flowmasters the sound is incredible

victoryred05 11-22-2005 01:27 AM

ohhh ok, now what i was thinking is i own a LS model so not to fast and powerfull as the SS, so i bet flowmasters and resonator removel would be perfect for the SS because it has the 'stones' to backup that aggresive flowmaster sound, sadly the LS would be like a tiny dog all bark no bite. NOW dont get me wrong I am a owner off these 3.4 models and WAS/AM thinking of flows but very much undecided ........ IS THEIR ANYONE OUT THIER WITH THE 3.4 WITH FLOWS , AND IS THIER A NOTICEABLE POWER INCREASE, PLEASE HELP

00montess 02-07-2006 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

The resonator is located between your CAT and mufflers. From the engine follow the pipes, the first football shaped thing is your CAT, the second part will be the resonator, it's quite long I would say about 3 foot long and cylindrical. It is there to quite the exhaust system. I've heard that if you replace it with a glasspack or a high flow race muffler in conjunction with Flowmasters the sound is incredible

now when you say "HIGH FLOW RACE MUFFLER" is that the same as a high flow resinator or are they completly different things?

rcohen 11-27-2006 05:03 PM

i got a 3.4L with dual flows. Put them ****ers in myself, and its beautiful.

z34phoenix 11-28-2006 02:45 AM

ok just went thru some exhaust discussion on anther thread...(https://montecarloforum.com/m_19822/tm.htm) but here we go.

-is a high flow race muffler the same as a resonator?
answer: No they are diff. a resonator normally has baffled chambers (and or a pair of perferated tubes) tuned at specific lenghts to kill a specific sound fq. High flow race mufflers are normally straight thru pipes with small holes cut in them with an outer shell. this lets sound and excess pressure to bleed into the pocket of the muffler but let the majority of the exhaust gas shoot thru the muffler with no restriction at all.

-flowmasters and performance
answer: flowmasters are deff better then the stock mufflers, but they use baffles to queit things down. these baffles slow the air and hurt flow. they are well known for sound. and if that is what your after, ( sounds like you want perf no sound) then these would be good.... but since i think you want performance and want a nice sound as a plus. here is what i suggest.

the following is the system i use on my 3.4L DOHC no its not the same engine you have you have the 3400 they are diff engines! but the system will have a positive effect on things just the same.

im using the stock down pipe (factory was 2.5" dia), had the factory cat replaced for a high flow unit, a can style magnaflow muffler connected to the Cat (where the 1st resonator was), some piping, a glass pack muffler where the second factory resonator was (optional i wanted the car to be quiet on long highway drives), and then equal lenght piping to dual tips. all using 2.5" dia. parts. ----the magnaflow mufflers use a perferated tube inside the can and fiberglass packing. a glass pack is very similar but instead of flush holes perferated, the glass pack has notches that lean into the flow a bit.

Mufflers i suggest are: ( these all use perf tubes)
-magnaflow
-borla pretty much same designe as mangaflow, but cost more cause they are made from a high quality Stainless steel. which is very good if your putting it on a new car and know you wont change the exhaust again.
-dynomax

hits to my setup.... i chose to use the single muffler cause it saves weight ( yeah, not a lot, but why add extra if its not needed?) its cheeper to just buy one, and if you get the right size for you aplication you'll get better flow! also i like the look of just the pipe runing out the back of the car.

yeah and spend the extra money and get the stainless steal tips. they are worth there price! trust me.... i bought tips similar to the Vett's they are rolled so the tail end is not cut and resists rusting even better! go to my website if you want to see pics. any questions students? lol

04 Intimidator 11-28-2006 09:50 PM

I'm assuming that you haven't done any mods to the car yet. I would recommend just upgrading to a stock dual exhaust that you could probably find easy enough on EBay, a boneyard, or in the classifieds. Otherwise you can upgrade to Borla, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Flowmasters, etc.

At this level it really won't matter as you won't see a performance gain; only sound. The stock dual exhaust isn't a bottleneck until you hit 350 HP.

z34phoenix 11-28-2006 10:08 PM

stop shawdowing my posts! lol read the other post... the stock exhaust for NA cars is a bottle neck.