Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   is it possible? duel exuast (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/possible-duel-exuast-2740/)

nero14 11-25-2006 04:52 PM

is it possible? duel exuast

I have an 03' LS

I went to a local muffler shop today and asked to see if they were able to put duel exaust on my monte. He put it on the lift and looked under and said it was impossible because there wasnt enough space.

What have other people done?
Isnt the SS duel?

anyway just wondering how others have done it and want to know if it is possible.

also will the V6 sound ok with duel exaust, i dont want a ricer sound? any mufflers you recomend?

wiz kidd 11-25-2006 06:00 PM

RE: is it possible? duel exuast

are you talking true duals or just duals split from a single pipe in the middle???

its easy, all the ss's have it done

take it to a better exhaust shop

97z34 11-25-2006 06:33 PM

i have magnaflows on my 3.4 and it sounds alright, its not as deep sounding as a V8 but its not a ricey as a I4. i suggest magnaflows but if you want it really loud go w/ the flowmaster super 40s

nero14 11-26-2006 02:42 AM

Is it possible to do true duals or just a dual split from a single pipe? all the kits ive seen are dual split from one pipe.

i think this would be best right?

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9366/exjv2.th.jpg

ProfChub 11-26-2006 08:29 AM

unfortunately i dont think the monte can have true dual because of the tightness under our cars. but if you figure out a way you can that would be awesome and you will have to share how :-)

z34phoenix 11-28-2006 03:11 AM

the main prob with runing true duals is to acount for the o2 sensor and EGR the primary o2 is just one. you might beable to do a kind of X pipe and get your O2's and EGR from there. and then you can try and hunt down a cat with two inlets and two outlets. and then run piping. but you would have to follow the stock route. cause if you runing it along the driverside (to pass the fuel tank) you will cross the fuel lines!!!! bad idea with hot exhaust.

so bottom line is if your going to run the pipe in the same area, you might as well use one pipe and spit it in the back. if you want more flow... just go with a bigger pipe. there are 3" down pipes avalible for 3800 engines and a local shop can bend you up a pipe and build what you need if you really want.

bottom line is it sound like a cool idea, but there are much better designs for best performance.

04 Intimidator 11-28-2006 09:41 PM

Also I would note that true duals on a FWD car are a pain in the butt. It should almost be exclusively reserved to RWD.

The single downpipe to a Y split works really well. The stock exhaust is also plenty until you hit 350 HP, only then does it become a bottleneck.

z34phoenix 11-28-2006 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

The stock exhaust is also plenty until you hit 350 HP, only then does it become a bottleneck.

this is not true. esp on the newer monte's 00+ the "ubend" and the 2.25" piping they run holds back the motor. sure you wont max out your exhaust until 350hp, but even at 240+ you will see a nice gain by doing exhaust.

i am no where near 300 HP and i saw a really nice gain with a full exhaust run with 2.5" piping.

Oh wait your SC'd intimidator! yeah for SC cars you have that Blower and can make cheep power by swaping in pulleys. with NA cars we need to scrape up any gains we can get! the game for NA is efficency! yeah for SC cars your right the stock exhaust is fine for a good bit. but NA we need more... and anything over 3" will hurt an NA car unless you find away to make 400-500 HP NA HAha i'd love to see that 500HP NA with no power adders! (not counting V8's Yes i know LS7 505hp!)