Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Opinions On Next Mod? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/opinions-next-mod-36275/)

S.O.G. 05-09-2012 12:51 AM

Opinions On Next Mod?

I just recently bought a stock supercharged 04 SS Monte. Real excited to start working on it! My friends gotta 98 daytona edition gtp supercharged n doesn't think I can fix my Baby up to beat his! I need suggestions on what mods I should start with. I only have K&N CAI so far. Was thinkin of speed daddy headers next? Any tips or suggestions??

red04montels 05-09-2012 01:07 AM

Search around, there's usually like a thread a week on this topic.

Check out this general mod plan for the 3800:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ni...-bumpin-24895/ <-- LINK

Since his Grand Prix is the Daytona it is supercharged, you may want to look into a top swap along with headers and a pulley drop (with supporting mods). If you drop a pulley you'll beat him no problem :thumbsup:

S.O.G. 05-09-2012 01:13 AM

Thanks for the advice! N yea I shoulda looked at some other threads first huh lol sorry I'm new to the forum. But what supporting mods would I need before dropping dwn the pulley?

2003L67SS 05-09-2012 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA (Post 456300)
I just recently bought a stock supercharged 04 SS Monte. Real excited to start working on it! My friends gotta 98 daytona edition gtp supercharged n doesn't think I can fix my Baby up to beat his! I need suggestions on what mods I should start with. I only have K&N CAI so far. Was thinkin of speed daddy headers next? Any tips or suggestions??

definitely go with headers, they are one of the best things you can do to a mostly stock l67, a colder set of spark plugs such as NGK TR6IX plugs, and a 180* thermostat, after that a pulley would be the next move, a catback exhaust can be added at any point if you want a different sound

red04montels 05-09-2012 01:25 AM

Although you can go with different exhaust at any time, I would be careful with that, as the 3800s have a tendency to sound raspy, although they do sound somewhat better with headers and good mufflers, like Magnaflow. SLP and Flowmaster tend to bring out the most rasp in these cars.

S.O.G. 05-09-2012 01:27 AM

Thanks for the advice 2003L67SS. I was thinkin of goin towards 1.9 rockers after the headers but will definitely look into the thermostat n colder spark plugs. What do u think of the stock throttle body? Should I change that as well? N if so how would that affect my car? Any hp change?

S.O.G. 05-09-2012 01:29 AM

Yea as far as exhaust goes I'm planning to get magnaflow Mufflers and some nice 4" tips. But I hear I won't get the best sound because my piping is gonna stay stock as oppose to makin them 3" all the way. Is that true?

2003L67SS 05-09-2012 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 456305)
Although you can go with different exhaust at any time, I would be careful with that, as the 3800s have a tendency to sound raspy, although they do sound somewhat better with headers and good mufflers, like Magnaflow. SLP and Flowmaster tend to bring out the most rasp in these cars.

agreed, if you go custom i may also suggest a large resonator, the bigger diameter and length it is the more rasp it can eliminate, and generally the larger diameter pipe used the lower the note is shifted, you can tune your exhaust to the way you like it, but you'll still have the signature 3800 rasp at higher RPM's unless you do something really exotic

red04montels 05-09-2012 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA (Post 456307)
Yea as far as exhaust goes I'm planning to get magnaflow Mufflers and some nice 4" tips. But I hear I won't get the best sound because my piping is gonna stay stock as oppose to makin them 3" all the way. Is that true?

3" all the way is too much IMO even after supercharging, depending on how deep you get into it of course.

One thing to think about is GTP's and S/C Monte's have 2.5" exhaust all the way back and the y-pipe is 2.25". They also have a very restrictive downpipe. Most supercharged applications do a 3" downpipe. But imo 3" all the way back will lose you quite a bit of back pressure or power down low in the RPMs

2003L67SS 05-09-2012 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 456309)
3" all the way is too much IMO even after supercharging, depending on how deep you get into it of course.

One thing to think about is GTP's and S/C Monte's have 2.5" exhaust all the way back and the y-pipe is 2.25". They also have a very restrictive downpipe. Most supercharged applications do a 3" downpipe. But imo 3" all the way back will lose you quite a bit of back pressure or power down low in the RPMs

thats exactly what you want with these, to shift that power up the range where you need it more, low rpm torque is literally on tap to the point of being too much and all they can do is burn the tires off, push the powerband upward and have better 60' and quarter mile times. :thumbsup: