Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Opinions on exhaust tips (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/opinions-exhaust-tips-8993/)

jayyman 04-14-2008 09:51 PM

Opinions on exhaust tips

I have the 2006 LT3 with dual exhaust, and the stock pipes with no tips is killin me. So i've searched all over and I think I found some I like from 3A racing. The part number is 62-2450, and its a stainless steel tip (bolt-on) that has an oval shape which I think will fill in the bumper cutouts nicely. Just looking for opinions on how you think they would look! Here is what they look like on another vehicle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3871/5F6BE3FEE38549E6A898493427AF2F1E.jpg[/IMG]

Cowboy6622 04-15-2008 06:43 AM

RE: Opinions on exhaust tips

I think your best bet is to swing through an exhaust shop and say "Can you put some chrome/stainless steel exhaust tips on my car!?!?!" and usually they'll say "YES, Which one of these would you like". Find a shop with a tip you like, and they'll weld it on for you. A whole better of a deal. Me, I like 3" tips that taper back.

06MCLTZ 04-15-2008 09:17 AM

Most exhaust places think there tips are better then everyone else and charge a lot. Go to ebay and look at 3.5" tips. Paid $55 andthat is with shippingand mine fit just about perfect.

God_Bot 04-15-2008 01:14 PM

My tips are 3" Slash cuts, they cost me about $20 each when I had them put on with the rest of my exhaust. It's a pain in the ass to take car of the chrome, but I do plan on getting a pair powder coated black someday to replace 'em.

Personally I think those might be a little too oval, you can always go around to different shops and see what they have and how they would look in person. You've just got to be careful, I had one guy who was dead set on selling me some import tips that were hideous, and on top of that he told me that they help amplify the import tuner sound that's so popular now days, I looked at him like he was crazy and he was like, "What?"

Cowboy6622 04-15-2008 01:28 PM

You can buy a tip off ebay... but how are you going to put it on? An exhaust shop can do a much better job of putting it on, welding it (not just clamping it on with bolts) and leveling them up than you can... plus if something does go wrong, you got somebody you can blame.

06MCLTZ 04-15-2008 04:45 PM

You buy tips that are for welded on. Duh,mosttipson ebayare ones that you weld on. That's what mine are and have been on my last couple cars and our 66 Stang.

Cowboy6622 04-15-2008 05:00 PM

if you've got the skill and the equipment to weld it on yourself... go for it. i piad $50 to have a set welded on.... you payed more than that and didn't even get them put on. sorry

jeffsmonte 04-15-2008 07:31 PM

The bigger the better! Get some 4 inchers!

jayyman 04-15-2008 08:35 PM

All great ideas- thanks! What i've finally decided on was a bolt-on since this is a daily driver here in the northeast where the salt pretty much destroys anything- this way I can replace as needed. I went with some tips from Vibrant that have a 3" slanted opening. Now I just have to wait for them to get here...

Again, thanks for the ideas!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3871/15B64295974843D4BBD3A9397812A8CB.jpg[/IMG]

06MCLTZ 04-16-2008 09:07 AM

CongratulationCowboy, you paid $5 less than me for 3", slash cut. Mine are 3.5" double walled and for the tips I was going to buy every exhaust place around here wanted $75 just for tips. Also I got my tips put on when I did my exhaust and if I got them put on separate it would have been about 5-10 bucks. So all togather it would have been at the most $15 more than yours for a bigger double walled tip.
Also jayyman if you get stainless steel ones they won't rust. I had stainless tips on my truck for a couple years and never had 1 bit of rust on them. I live in the midwest and winter can be pretty bad here, and that truck was only in the garage every once in a while.