Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   New mods and new issues result. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/new-mods-new-issues-result-9590/)

z34phoenix 05-25-2008 03:05 AM

New mods and new issues result.

Well friday i desided to dive in and finally fix the Oil leak i have had for years... the DOHC has this plug where the block was cast for a distributor... well this little F'n o ring doesnt last long... and its a PITA to replace... to do it right you need to pull the rear head... that means retiming the motor...

so anyway i desided to QuickSteel it down (basicly RTV puddy) while in there and waiting for it to dry i took a good look at the ports on the heads.... i had gasket matched the lower intake manifold... well the heads didnt match up well... so got the extension chord out grabbed the dremal and went at them. 20 min later heads are now gasket matched. only prob is the dealer doesnt have my lower intake gaskets in stock... have to wait for them... desided to try and reuse the LIM gasket... but still have a little leak... (prob 1) second issue is i desided to block off the EGR port in the rear exhaust mani. dont really know why but it worked loose, and i tightend it today... and think its loose again.... my IAC count is like 10 and even after a few MAF tunes my trims are still +12 and not droping... my wide band is showing leaner then normal too... (reason i know theres an exhaust leak) so the motor is bleeding at both ends.

the good news however is the car feels very strong. and prob will feel stronger once i get the leaks fixed and trims dialed. dont think i posted it either but about a week ago i ported the front exhaust manifold too.... had a noticable gain in low end Tq.

cant wait for another cool day where i can take the car to the track. my last run was 14.81 with my tires spinning 2/3's the way down the track. if they didnt spin that would have been a 14.7! with these mods i cant wait to see what i will do. deff a real seat of the pants diff from what i just did. its amazing what a diff a little material can make on the intake. prob didnt have more then a tablespoon full of shavings from those heads but deff made a diff.

BeachBumMike 05-25-2008 05:28 AM

RE: New mods and new issues result.

Hi `David,
Look forward to your future posts about your next run @ the Track : )
Next Mod's: Blueprinted & Balanced with Ported & Polished heads : )
Good Luck to you on the June 08 Monte of the Month Contest.
:)[8D][&:]:D:)~>We see 13 sec 1/4 mile times in your future.
Thanks for all your posts, and help to other member's.
We really like your new pic's of your z34 <~4-Sure [8D]
:eek:`Sweet Look'in Z 34 ~ 5th Generation Monte Carlo :eek:

scc24540 05-25-2008 09:35 AM

sweet deal d00d, u get that engine sealed up and let us know how much ass you kick out on the track

mickey 05-25-2008 09:37 AM

what no pictures?[sm=ttiwwp.gif] Davids Car. [sm=ts.gif]Please stand back for your safety Mam!:D

z34phoenix 05-25-2008 11:15 AM

from here on out with the Z there are a fewdetails im gonna keep secrets about the car.

bumpin96monte 05-25-2008 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix
my last run was 14.81 with my tires spinning 2/3's the way down the track.
Time for some new tires I think [8D]

from here on out with the Z there are a fewdetails im gonna keep secrets about the car.
Why? Are you planning on doing some hardcore streetracing or something?

z34phoenix 05-26-2008 07:48 AM

no its not about street racing... besides these punks on the streets dont know about these pages or my website...

i just put a lot of work into squeezing out every last drop of power from this motor. and some of the ideas i want to keep as mine. i've already shown plenty of porting secrets/ideas on the main restrictions in the intake system. im just not going to show the rest of them. same thing goes with my tuning. have some tweaks in there that pretty much arent talked about anywhere on DHP or the tuning notebook. things i spent lots of time perfecting and learning.

besides when i first even mentioned i was trying for 15 flat at the track i got all this resistance from the comunity saying i couldnt do it. being the first to crack that 15 sec mark for these motors NA and then beating it again... heck EZ112 had been trying to best my time for over a year and now his car is dead. he even had a new/rebuilt motor and couldnt beat it. I've got 182,000 miles on this beast!

Im not going to stop helping people. if people have questions i'll give them my best and honest answers. and im not going to remove any of the writeups i have made or pull down any pics or discriptions... im just not going to further the "road map" and specifics of my build. so if someone wants to copy me they will have to spend time and money too!

Cowboy6622 05-26-2008 08:18 AM

i remember when chris was keeping his engine secret he got all kinds of hell for that.

david, i respect your decision... but i hope your ready to recieve the same amount of hell that chris did for his decision.

mickey 05-26-2008 09:50 AM

i can respect that phenox.
hope i didnt do anythign to help promote you having a hard time on the site with your car. i referd some folks to you knowing that you knew more on those motors or even the 5th gen then i did.

I can respect anyone that has wrenched on thier car and learnd how to make it preform better then others with trial and error.

I used to tune the older 350 chevy's and could pull horse power out of stricky tunning it to the best it could be and not actually doign anythign real fancy.. but pepole would go nuts trying to figure it out and still could not com e close to some of them.

all i ask is the you at least keep us posted on your accomplishments for the times etc... i enjoy hearing your times and the bench marks that you have passed.

as for the shiza that was given to chris for his motor compared to yours there is a huge diffrence on this .
Chris never had proven how or what he had done with his.
pehonix has times testing etc.. to prove his worth on the track.
nothign agianst chris it is just how it was done.