Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   5th Gen ('95-'99): ??new exhaust system?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/new-exhaust-system-34260/)

sixscarlo 02-16-2012 07:23 PM

??new exhaust system??

Here is what I'm thinking of doing to my car. A side exit dual exhaust. How i think I'm going to go about it is just behind the cat install a thrush dynomax exhaust muffler then a Magnaflow y-pipe with 2 90 degree bends then have pipe go to the side and some cool tip I can find. Yay?:thumbsup: Nay?:thumbsdown: I also will have to do a resonator delete, now my main worry will be these 2 things:

Legallity of removing the resonator.

what will that do to the sound? I have glass packs and resonator on right now and it has a nice deep sound but I'm afraid that deleting the resonator will "rice it out" so to speak

anyways all the piping will be 2.5 inch inner diameter piping so that should leave the exhaust with a good amount of back pressure. let me know your thoughts.

zipper 02-16-2012 08:27 PM

First off, the only thing that you have to have on your exhaust system "legally" is your cat. After that, they just want your car to be quiet so if the cat can make it quiet enough, then that's okay. So don't worry about that.

Next, this sounds cool, but you're going to have to worry about ground clearance. You might have issues there.

Lastly, you should check out some Youtube videos to see what our Montes sound like with just a cat and muffler, or at least something similar to what you're planning on doing.

Whatever you do, do what you want to do. Don't worry about what others think, because if you do, you'll have something that isn't what our Monte's are.

mrl390 02-16-2012 08:36 PM

You probably wont like the sound of your car without a resonator if you are worried about it having a "ricey" sound. The drone caused by removing the resonator is terrible. I have the stock downpipe with a 2.5" catback with resonator delete, magnaflow mufflers and quad tips. The drone is terrible. It does sound good when you stomp on it but just cruising around is terrible. If I were to do anything different I would have kept my resonator.

04LaVaSS 02-16-2012 08:56 PM

What I did was replace my resonator with a magnaflow glasspack. That seemed to give it a nice deep rumble with no ricey sound. The drone isnt that bad either. I am really happy with how I have mine set up. I just replaced the resonator with a 30'' magnaflow glasspack and from then on is 2.5'' into 2 flowmaster 40s original series mufflers. It sounds like a beast when you get on it but for cruising it sounds just fine. Not much of an annoying drone. You can tell its not a stock exhaust system for sure but its pretty suttle. Good luck with your project! I wanted to do a side exit set up but changed my mind last min. Deff post pics when youre set up is complete! And a vid :thumbsup:

KJRich 02-16-2012 09:05 PM

Everybody will have a different opinion about the sound or drone. Years ago I had a '97 Dodge Ram V8 with a Flowmaster original 40 catback dual exhaust. Other Ram owners I spoke with that tried the 40 said it droned too much for their liking and I didn't know what they were talking about. I thought the truck was quiet, because I was used to driving V8 cars with true dual exhaust and glasspacks. It was louder than stock for sure, but still quiet compared to what my cars had. It could still set off some car alarms, though.:rotfl:

sixscarlo 02-16-2012 10:31 PM

well as for drone i could care less for the glass packs i have drone a bit what i didnt want is something that sounds like high pressure farts in rapid succession like this 1992 Lumina Z34 Exhaust Video - YouTube

and I want it to sound more like this(but with the glass packs on it)

98 Monte Carlo exhaust - YouTube

as for ground clearance I'm not to worried there is about 5 inches of ground clearance and as is the exhaust hangs low enough for me to know if a speed bump would hit it or something. So good resonator makes it sound good

BlownUptoHigh 02-17-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390 (Post 422171)
You probably wont like the sound of your car without a resonator if you are worried about it having a "ricey" sound. The drone caused by removing the resonator is terrible. I have the stock downpipe with a 2.5" catback with resonator delete, magnaflow mufflers and quad tips. The drone is terrible. It does sound good when you stomp on it but just cruising around is terrible. If I were to do anything different I would have kept my resonator.

Dont you have a resonator on the downpipe or did you delete both or your car only game with one?

sixscarlo 02-17-2012 01:22 PM

hey guys I'm starting to get the funding and stuff together, just need some quick info first. The diameter of the piping after the cat back I know that before the cat its a 2.5 but does it drop to 2.25 after the cat or hold steady on a 2.5. It is a 97 z34

04LaVaSS 02-17-2012 03:15 PM

I believe it stays at 2.5. About 75% sure

mrl390 02-17-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlownUptoHigh (Post 422313)
Dont you have a resonator on the downpipe or did you delete both or your car only game with one?

The silencer on the downpipe is still there. I deleted the resonator on the catback.