Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: Needing Exhaust Tips/Pointers (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/needing-exhaust-tips-pointers-59486/)

jclemens123 03-14-2018 10:45 PM

Needing Exhaust Tips/Pointers

Alright so I'd like to start off by saying I am new to car modding. I've just bought my first car, a 2001 Monte Carlo SS Limited Edition. I'm very pleased so far with the car in it's stock form but I know it can be so much better. As for my first mod I want to do an exhaust for my car. This car is a V6 so I know it's hard to get that sound you really want, but I'm hoping maybe someone out there in this forum can give a newcomer some tips about what they've done/what they suggest to be done. I want the car loud, but still sound like it can be a tuned car and not some riced up Toyota Corolla. Again I'm NEW to everything here, car modding, reaching out to forums, etc, it's all new to me and I'm hoping people out here are nice and accept that I'm here to learn and be the best I can be in something I find interesting. Thank you!

drivernumber3 03-20-2018 10:16 PM

:thumbsup:Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum.
I missed this post as I think most folks did.
Well I am in the thinking process of doing something similar to my Car I have purchased a Cat back system but it is still in the boxes you might say. I got a super deal on an all stainless system.
So I am not sure what it will sound like.
The thing you may want to check out is Youtube there are all kinds of videos that Monte Owners have put up there with the exhaust systems.
If I was going to do it without the system I purchased. I might get a Cherry Bomb straight thru muffler and replace the Resonator with that. Then run straight pipes back from there to the rear at least 2.5 in Dia. :)
There are a couple of fellows that have nice sounding Montes on here zippy02 is one and turbo monte is the other you might be able to find a video that they have put up here with that featured.

jclemens123 03-20-2018 11:40 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have looked at a couple it’s just sometimes hard to truly distinguish what they sound like. I’ve looked at the ZZPerformance catback exhaust, however I am looking to get that without mufflers and put in my own mufflers. I’m contemplating using Borlas racing mufflers as I believe they may give my car the sound I am searching for.

drivernumber3 03-21-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by jclemens123 (Post 710104)
Thanks for the reply! I have looked at a couple it’s just sometimes hard to truly distinguish what they sound like. I’ve looked at the ZZPerformance catback exhaust, however I am looking to get that without mufflers and put in my own mufflers. I’m contemplating using Borlas racing mufflers as I believe they may give my car the sound I am searching for.

Back in the 70's the sound I was impressed with came for the Mustang Cobra Mach one, I owned a Chevelle SS and a Z/28 but they were just different.
About a year ago I was in Des Moines, IA and there was a Dodge Challenger that had that mean growl that everyone wants to hear, not sure what he was using but it sounded much better than the Chevy Cruze I was driving for sure. :rotfl: It is to bad that you can't go to the ehaust store and test the sounds there? :rolleyes:

ZIPPY02 03-21-2018 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello and Welcome to the MCF! :thumbsup:

Sound is there to be had. The only reason to get a Borla System is they are Stainless Steel. I had a set and never even mounted them, sold them off. Just go to a reputable exhaust shop (NOT Midas types) and have them build you a set from normal steel exhaust pipes. Jump up the next size (you now have 2.25") go to 2.5". Get some Magnaflow universal bullet type muffs and call I good. My exhaust was built like I just described. I keep them painted with a high temp paint and they look as good as the day I had them mounted. And for half the price of the brand name pipes.

This is them about 8 years old...

Jason B 08-04-2018 02:56 PM

I'm interested in a similar exhaust mod. Are you suggesting to just get straight thru mufflers and leave everything else stock?