Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need some advice on Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM

I made a custom fender-well intake. I had a "hot air" intake for quite a while and now I really regret it because after I installed the fender-well intake, not only did I notice a bit better throttle response and possibly a tad more power, my highway mpg really went up (30-35 est.). As some of the previous guys said, if you plan on doing future mods, a CAI or fender-well intake is definitely a step in the right direction. I believe I noticed a difference because I have a custom exhaust and an upgraded PCM as well.

A few pics of my intake are attached. Good luck man!!!

Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on Cold Air Intakes-130511_0000.jpg   Need some advice on Cold Air Intakes-130511_0001.jpg   Need some advice on Cold Air Intakes-130511_0002.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
Ok so im thinking about getting a cold air intake for my monte carlo.

First off, are the actually worth it?
I hear some people say they are and some say they are not

Do they actually enhance performance? What exactly do they do?
Would I have any noticeable sound difference

Which ones are the best? I would assume K&N right? Is they K&N one worth the $$$?
I made my own.. Here's a few pics..

Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM

OP- Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to discuss our product with you. Best way to reach me is by phone or email, bhylton@coldairinductions.com

To everyone who linked us, mentioned us, or has our CAI and was promoting our CAI, thank you so much. Your business and support really means a lot to us! We really do make an effort to make the best CAI available, as well as to back it with exceptional customer service, and I hope that shows to you all!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely! Bill is a stand-up guy to do business with

Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Two questions about intake systems. One: Is it better just to have a stock intake than a short ram intake? I know with the short ram air intake you'd be out of the restrictive factory box intake but wouldn't the hot air cancel out the benefit? Second: Can you use a stock MAF sensor with a cold air intake? I hear people tell me all the time that your MAF will get fouled out with a non stock intake and that it will just end up causing headaches or negative performance gains.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM

From my experience, I have seen only positive gains in performance as well as gas mileage. I just drove 85 miles today all highway on a full tank, and the gague only moved 2 notches, which i estimate to be about 3 gallons MAX. Also, my 0-60 with the fenderwell has improved by almost half a second, with supporting mods of course. So unless something else internal or otherwise is wrong with the engine, I don't see how any negeative effects could manifest from that.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good evening all... I have the Wizaired CAI and could not be happier... Horse power gain is slight at best, a bit more torque, a little more responsive and the sound is magnificent!!! Did I mention the sound..... My MPG actually went down because I stomp on it a bit more... Bottom line, absolutely worth it...

Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Griffindor
Two questions about intake systems. One: Is it better just to have a stock intake than a short ram intake? I know with the short ram air intake you'd be out of the restrictive factory box intake but wouldn't the hot air cancel out the benefit? Second: Can you use a stock MAF sensor with a cold air intake? I hear people tell me all the time that your MAF will get fouled out with a non stock intake and that it will just end up causing headaches or negative performance gains.
1. It completely depends on the vehicle, the stock set-up, and the CAI that you are comparing it to. Typically the intake tube or path of travel for the air to flow through is what is the most restrictive rather than the box itself. However there are usually improvements in air flow due to using a cone style filter as opposed to a panel filter that typically comes with a stock air box. Hot air is definitely bad and hinders performance, and for most CAI's it's a real problem. Due to the fact that we insulate and enclose our airbox, as well as thermal coat the intake tube (when applicable), our CAI gives you the best of both worlds, better airflow and lower IAT'S.

2. It's all about how the CAI is designed and whether or not the CAI will keep the readings at the MAF within the parameters of the computer so that it will not throw a code. A/F ratios need to be at a certain level so that a CEL is not given, our CAI is designed properly to work with your stock MAF so that performance gains are maximized while keeping the fuel trims where they need to be so that a code is not thrown. Many other cold air intakes are not designed that well, which is why you hear about getting codes from some of them, by using a aftermarket MAF you are essentially tricking the computer into getting readings that are not accurate from the CAI, we would rather just design the CAI correctly to be within the parameters that the car needs. By "Foul Out the MAF" I'm not sure what you mean, other than what I just told you, other issues that a cold air intake can cause that can create an issue with the MAF is if you are using a poor quality oiled filter and the oil comes off the filter and gets onto the MAF which will cause the readings to be bad and usually will throw a CEL. Again, many companies out there are notorious for having this issue, and it all comes down to quality control. I can tell you that in the near 10 years we have been in business we have only used oiled filters, and we have never had a single issue like this, but our filters are made here in the USA, engineered by us, and are held to a high level of quality control, many other companies do not do that.

I hope that helps!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another issue is with people who over-oil their filters. This can cause oil to wick off during acceleration and get into the intake tube. Your MAF is then in the place of getting oil wicked on it. This can alter the readings until you clean the MAF sensor.

It's rare, and typically only after someone oils their own filter.

Also on our cars, the intake box only has a very small hole in which is pulls air in from, this is the bigger restriction.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM

I was also wondering that as well, I had to fix my intake, so I went along and just made A DIY intake, its not insultated yet so I guess you can say a short ram intake. Its sits pretty far from my engine in my 5.3 and as far as gains, it has a bit of quicker throttle I notice a little, as far as gas, i guess its around the same...

Imo I wanted to build a fender wall intake or atleast one that dropped into my bumper, but Idk how well it would do with water to say the least.

Only reason I decided to do the fix is cause the ruffled part of my intake tube was ripped, im assuming previous owner had played with it too hard. So I got a aftermarket spector and fixed it up. I'll post a pic later, I dont like my computer being exposed but ill modify that somehow I guess.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on Cold Air Intakes