Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   5th Gen ('95-'99): Need info on setups (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/need-info-setups-35416/)

sixscarlo 04-03-2012 06:49 PM

Need info on setups

Hi guys I recently wanted to build a custom side exit exhaust. however a couple question marks have popped up.

1. for those of you in RI do you know anyone or have been getting crap about side exit exhausts. Anyone know the laws regarding exhaust systems.

2.One of my main goals is to give it a good throaty deep sound but it not being loud. What kind of mufflers are good? I was thinking dynomax bullets but I was told they are way too loud is that true? I will not use glass packs cause i just got pulled over for them being too loud. I think its bull**** because they are quieter then my brothers mustang and truck with magnaflow and flow master exhaust.

3.I was originally wanting to do a duel side exit exhaust system with normal pipes(i don't really like the look of chrome with that kind of set up) but if they're unlawful what would be a good set up? I kinda like pheonix's set up, of having the cat, res, and mufflers all under the car then large pipes coming out the back to give that straight pipe look. other then that I cant really think of anything else and would like opinions from my fellow members

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

tps221 04-03-2012 06:52 PM

That'd be expensive to do whats your engine setup and stuff?

red04montels 04-03-2012 06:54 PM

What engine do you have?

I haven't seen many people on the site from Rhode Island, I would assume that as long as you have a muffler and cat that you should be fine, if you got pulled over for a glass pack I for sure wouldn't go with SLP or Flowmaster

sixscarlo 04-03-2012 07:10 PM

its a 3.4l doch sorry i forgot to put that in. as for a duel side exit the price is dirt cheap at a local muffler shop they gave me an estimate of 280 dollars for welding mounting the whole 9 yards.

what about magnaflow

or thrush turbo welded mufflers they sound pretty quiet from the videos i have seen

tps221 04-03-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sixscarlo (Post 443428)
its a 3.4l doch sorry i forgot to put that in. as for a duel side exit the price is dirt cheap at a local muffler shop they gave me an estimate of 280 dollars for welding mounting the whole 9 yards.

what about magnaflow

or thrush turbo welded mufflers they sound pretty quiet from the videos i have seen

How bout DUAL FART CANSSSS :rotfl:

sixscarlo 04-03-2012 07:38 PM

........point taken.....

in my defense however the videos i have seen were on other cars with a very quiet volume i kinda just did a quick search

tps221 04-03-2012 08:14 PM

if its a 1997 no need to pass tailpipe emmisions so do dual straight pipes thats the best nascar like look for the sides a muffler on the sides looks dumb because with 5th gens your gonna see the whole muffler theres no way to hide it on the side unless you have a custom skirt

sixscarlo 04-03-2012 08:19 PM

i think you mis-understand how i would build it. It will have the cat followed by muffler followed by y pipe then the tips would come out its not a vette style side exit i'm looking for.

and one thing i do know from RI law is that the car has to be from like the 80s before emmission testing is exempt

tps221 04-03-2012 08:27 PM

mass it's 15 years 20 is classic car status :)

Leprechaun93 04-03-2012 08:29 PM

In my opinion thats not going to look very good, but to each his own. I have a flowmaster 40 series on my 3.1 and i like the sound. Cant speak on the 3.4 though i havent heard any of them. And as far as RI law goes try doing some searching around the web, you might find the answer you're looking for.