Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Need advice about my intake manifolds (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/need-advice-about-my-intake-manifolds-19228/)

cangri_926 03-08-2010 07:33 PM

Need advice about my intake manifolds

Hi guys I was reading and have read about the difference on 2000+intakes that use a slides not threaded heater line,my car is a 3.1 from 1999 and I just recently did my gaskets so for a fact I know it's a push slide in pipe with gasket.my rocker are diferent than an older ones also,how can I figure this out if I have the newer 3.1 from 2000+ that is same size I read as 3.4 intake

Wilco 03-08-2010 11:38 PM

Usually you can tell what you have, engine wise, by the engine's vin# stamped somewhere on the block. I'd suggest dropping a 3.8, any year will do since they are the same block but don't get one too old (mileage wise), with the trans/differential/axles and start the modding process. I found a 3.8 (04) S/C (but was missing the TB) for $750 last year with 20,000 on the odometer but decided to go turbo instead. You'll have to look around at the salvage yards for deals. Heck, give Ed Morad a call and see what they have. They are a salvage yard, I believe in Ohio, that carry a lot of 3.8 stuff. I used to own a 97 ls and that little engine used to be pretty fast, but there's definitely a difference between the 3.1 and the 3.8. But you really maybe better off buying an MC car with a 3.8 S/C or N/A and go from there. Regardless of which way you go, be prepared to pay 'cause performance parts for the V-6 cars aren't cheap.(yet)

cangri_926 03-09-2010 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by montyss02 (Post 207042)
Usually you can tell what you have, engine wise, by the engine's vin# stamped somewhere on the block. I'd suggest dropping a 3.8, any year will do since they are the same block but don't get one too old (mileage wise), with the trans/differential/axles and start the modding process. I found a 3.8 (04) S/C (but was missing the TB) for $750 last year with 20,000 on the odometer but decided to go turbo instead. You'll have to look around at the salvage yards for deals. Heck, give Ed Morad a call and see what they have. They are a salvage yard, I believe in Ohio, that carry a lot of 3.8 stuff. I used to own a 97 ls and that little engine used to be pretty fast, but there's definitely a difference between the 3.1 and the 3.8. But you really maybe better off buying an MC car with a 3.8 S/C or N/A and go from there. Regardless of which way you go, be prepared to pay 'cause performance parts for the V-6 cars aren't cheap.(yet)

yeah i know,and my neighbor had one and i guess he sold it cuz hes driving a nissan now,but i dont talk to him,thats why i missed it plus he never put a for sale.i got a couple salvage places around here but 3.1 its what i found,i live in pa so i guess im trying jersey salvages next.thx

Wilco 03-09-2010 06:47 AM

My brother lives in Philly and he just got rid of an 01 regal with a 3.8 because the LIM leaked and he didn't want to fix it. I know that the salvage yards down on sw philly ( I can't remember the name of the are but there used to be races Friday & Saturday nights) should have a good selection on junked cars with good running engines/trans. If you're close to Philly give them a call.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-09-2010 07:49 AM

JUST got rid of a regal?

You should inform me if your brother wants to make stupid mistakes again :P

cangri_926 03-09-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02 (Post 207074)
My brother lives in Philly and he just got rid of an 01 regal with a 3.8 because the LIM leaked and he didn't want to fix it. I know that the salvage yards down on sw philly ( I can't remember the name of the are but there used to be races Friday & Saturday nights) should have a good selection on junked cars with good running engines/trans. If you're close to Philly give them a call.

this intake leaks are a disease on our gm,uhgg....look at that im closer to the ne philly like 10 min from the ne mall,but its ok,that might b one of my next projects.help is appreciated!!!!!!!

ChibiBlackSheep 03-10-2010 10:33 AM

Where are you at?

I live in NE Philly also! (near welsh and bustleton)

Wilco 03-10-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 207082)
JUST got rid of a regal?

You should inform me if your brother wants to make stupid mistakes again :P

Lol, I couldn't believe that he gave the car away for just a leaky LIM. But that's the life of the "Rich", I guess!

Wilco 03-10-2010 11:22 AM

Check the salvage yards on Essington Ave. in SW Philly.

cangri_926 03-10-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02 (Post 207494)
Check the salvage yards on Essington Ave. in SW Philly.

i will ck,i search google maps and if is giannas i already call them but nothing now there another one nearby ce auto sales,that one i will call tom morning,thx for the place location,!!!!