Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Mufflers for 85 monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/mufflers-85-monte-36632/)

fhorta 05-25-2012 11:40 AM

Mufflers for 85 monte

Hello all. Well, I have 85 monte ss with 305 engine. All stock. Trying to beef up sound and hopefully little performance with aftermarket mufflers. Any ideas what may be best set up given engine size? I hear magnaflows are good but with 305 engine it really dont make diference? ThNks for any ideas, suggestions

Space 05-25-2012 11:50 AM

:rolleyes: Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...
Check back on your thread ? to see what our 4th Gen Monte Carlo Member's post...

Below are a few links & vid's to check out...Good Luck on getting the sound that you want ?
Plus, tell us more about your Monte...Pic's are a plus :thumbsup:
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo exhaust - YouTube

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width=1>
► 1:02► 1:02

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX3n3z_R7BE</CITE>Aug 21, 2011 - 1 min - Uploaded by 1979corvette1
Flowtech raptor turbo mufflers on a 305 4bbl Monte Carlo. ... Standard YouTube License. 1 likes, 0 ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>1986 Monte Carlo SS - Hedman 68311 Headers, Cats ... - YouTube

► 0:32► 0:32

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=hurUUTnGcTM</CITE>May 8, 2011 - 32 sec - Uploaded by t5montecarlo
You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. ... I watched your videos and thought the Hooker ...

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Monte Carlo SS Glasspack and OEM Mufflers - YouTube

► 2:16► 2:16

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQoAILJIoCg</CITE>Oct 1, 2011 - 2 min - Uploaded by bestofbest305
Alert icon. Loading... Uploaded by bestofbest305 on Oct 1, 2011. Got a set of " OEM" mufflers on the monte ...

More videos for Best Muffers for a 305 CI Monte Carlo You Tube »

<LI class=g>Monte Carlo SS Technical Information

<CITE>www.montecarloss.com/technical.html</CITE>Cached -\
Emissions Legal Build Up of L69 305ci engine on the SS Thunder site by Steve Parker. .... Throttle Valve Cable System 101, the best write-up you'll find on the TVC. Provided by Bow .... web site. Muffler Systems Lecture N2Performance.com web site. .... Tubing and Related Tool Information on the Team Chevelle web site.

<LI class=g>Hedman Husler Street & Strip Headers - JEGS

<CITE>www.jegs.com/p/Hedman-Husler/Hedman-Husler-Street-Strip.../-</CITE>
18-gauge primaries; Tube diameters up to 2-1/8"; Standard & Stepped tube models ... 1978-87 Monte Carlo; 5.0L, 5.7L 305, 350 ci; 1-3/4 to 1-7/8" Tubes; 3-1/<WBR>2" Collector .... Over 50 years of experience delivering the best in High Performance Auto parts. ... What You Want - When You Want It - At the Price You Want to Pay ...

Budsjlm 05-25-2012 11:58 AM

do you want to do just a muffler?

i did my exhaust probably the cheapest i could, choped out the stock cat, put a cherry bomb glas pack at the end of the y pipe took out the stock exhaust used a chunk of it to exit to the pass side

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...514629_0_0.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...h_9924a9d1.jpg
not the best sounding ( i had an intake cam lobe compleatly rounded off...)

if i did it again,i would move the glas pack back right befor the bend would have made a nice melow tone

Zen 05-26-2012 10:03 PM

If your mostly looking for a good sound an only want to swap in a muffler Flowmaster or Magnaflow would sound good.
If you plan on beef up your performance then the boat ancher 305:thumbsdown: has gotta go.It's a fair weak running engine.A nice 350 would do wonders in there.(Or a LSX swap:thumbsup:)

fhorta 05-29-2012 09:20 AM

Thanks for responses. I went ahead and slapped on some one-chamber easyflows. I couldnt find flowmasters one chamber. Sounds much better and flows much better. Tried magnaflows but didnt sound much more different than stock.

Zeke 05-30-2012 02:13 AM

- Dynomax for SBC's.

fhorta 05-30-2012 12:49 PM

what's an SBC? small block something?

Mike 00LS 05-30-2012 01:15 PM

Small Block Chevy

fhorta 05-30-2012 03:06 PM

i see. unfortuneately or fortunately, i already had mufflers installed. now i'll just wonder how they would have sounded with dynos'.. has anyone heard of some type of mufflers called seriesflow, or steringflow, or something similar? the guy that installed the one-chambers on monte said that he didnt have any flowmasters but had this "steeriflows" and said they were just like flowmasters so i went ahead and had those installed.

fhorta 05-30-2012 04:53 PM

ok, actually go the name from the shop and the mufflers are "streetflows" or "straightflows"..i dont think the guy can really read or write...has anyone heard of these mufflers?

fhorta 05-30-2012 05:37 PM

more info...these mufflers are otherwise known as "KO". any thoughts?

TheMonteMan 05-30-2012 06:12 PM

never heard of it. if its a chambered muffler itll sound like a flowmaster, and is as good as a gen 1 sbc is going to sound in my opinion. i ran dynomax superturbos at one time and it sounded booty. not much louder than stock. just a muffler swap most probably is not going to improve performance. a set of headers and ditching the cat would be a step in the right direction, but the 305 was never a performance motor and even when theyre stroked are far from impressive. get rid of the 305 and get a proper small block for the car.

Zeke 05-31-2012 04:07 AM

Put a small B&M StreetCharger on it, & call it a day. =)

TheMonteMan 05-31-2012 06:42 AM

absurd

fhorta 05-31-2012 01:31 PM

i'm thinking about getting rid of cat and running straigt pipe all the way back to mufflers. if i do this what will be the result? will it sound different? will the new mufflers that were just installed make a difference then, or would they just become obsolete? if so, i will saw them off and see if i can sell them. i wish i would of checked this forum before making decision.

so if i get rid of cat, would the investment in the mufflers be a waste? or would it be wise to leave the mufflers on anyway? sorry, just kind of new to this....:o

Zen 05-31-2012 06:37 PM

Don't loose the mufflers it wont sound very good.You can ditch the cat might deepen the tone some.But with out a health cam in there that motor wont gain too much with a bigger or straight pipe exhaust.
I don't care for straight piping a car just doesn't sound too good to me.A nice chambered muffler works wonders for tone.
Exhaust is only as good as the engine it's on.If the engine isn't healthy then the exhaust wont sound right.

fhorta 05-31-2012 07:08 PM

ok, thanks. it really does sound much better with the one-chambers installed than how it sounded when it was stock. in my opinion though, the sound of the engine kind of overtakes the sound of the mufflers when i revit up???i just thought that i would notice a drone sound when reving it up but what i hear is kind of like the sound of the radiator fan and not that drone....i guess it's the engine so that's why i was thinking of getting rid of cat to see if it would help sound .

Zen 05-31-2012 08:05 PM

Does it still have the clutch fan on there?
Clutch fans tend to stick when they get old.

03SSLE 06-01-2012 07:02 AM

Streetflow is Allied Mufflers version of the Flowmaster/Magnaflow single chamber muffler:

http://www.alliedexhaust.com/images/...StreetFlow.pdf

I couldn't find a Monte running them, but here's some various engines running the Streetflow mufflers:

2007 MX5 Miata automatic custom exhaust, in car video with top up - YouTube

99 silverado true dual streetflow exhaust - YouTube

1973 Camaro Pypes Stainless exhaust - YouTube

Zen 06-01-2012 11:11 AM

That 73 didn't sound bad at all.
Some of the knock off flowmaster/magnaflow chamber mufflers aren't too shabby sounding.

fhorta 06-01-2012 03:43 PM

ok. that makes sense. the guy at the shop said thay are the same thing as flowmasters and charged me $110 a piece.

i'm not sure about the fan clutch. but it's not like an internal noise that is making, it's the noise the fan actually makes as it turns. kind of hard to explain. but anyway, i'm pretty happy with improved sound and notice that car flows a little smoother without that back pressure i used to feel with old mufflers. if i want to ditch the cat i'm looking at paying another $90 or so. it seems to be suggested overall, but i'm wondering what exactly the improvement might be, if any and to see if it's worth it.

TheMonteMan 06-01-2012 04:35 PM

110 per muffler? i think you got ripped. personally i would say dont worry about the cat now. the way the exhaust sounds has to do with the motor as someone already posted. so if you have a motor with no compression, small valves, poor flowing heads, a whimpy cam, and factory exhaust manifolds then its only going to sound so good, and the cat isnt really holding you back. now you put headers on a motor that is really pumping some air, with a real cam, no cats, and a pair of flowmasters youll hear the difference. save your cash and pick up a real small block. not trying to be rude or anything. i went through the same thing with my 80. numerous exhaust setups with the 400 bone stock with a 2 barrel and it never sounded great. built the motor went up in piping diameter, and it was a change from night to day.

Zen 06-01-2012 06:35 PM

Was that $110 installed each or $110 for just the muffler.Cuz if it's just for the muffler it self then you got boned a flowmaster only cost $70-85 or so depending on series.But if that installed then it sound like a ok price.
Post a video of it when you get the chance.

fhorta 06-01-2012 07:15 PM

that was the price for each, including installation. thanks for suggestions. i'll post picture as soon as i can.

Zen 06-01-2012 07:59 PM

Thats not too bad then.Some times they charge a lot just for the muffler.