Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Monte much louder than before (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/monte-much-louder-than-before-29535/)

shotime105 07-13-2011 10:19 PM

Monte much louder than before

Today i just got my 02 monte c ss back from the shop. When i started it up noticed that it was MUCH louder than when i dropped it off for repairs 2 weeks ago. Im wondering can something be slightly disconnected or can something be cracked. Im asking around before I take to a muffler shop to have them look at it.

Budsjlm 07-13-2011 10:21 PM

fist off what did the shop repair?

shotime105 07-13-2011 10:28 PM

Intake seal, thromostat, and radiator (hope spelled them right).

The_Maniac 07-14-2011 08:23 AM

OK, the work they did I don't think should cause the car to be loud. But here's the next question, where is the noise originating from??

I know it's pretty common for an item known as a resonator to rust out and cause loud exhaust noises (the resonator is approximately directly under where the center console is, perhaps a touch forward).

I had mine replaced twice in less then 10,000 miles, the aftermarket ones my shop was using, the baffles inside did not hold up and began rattling horribly! Best thing I think I did was finally having them just cut it out and put a piece of stainless pipe in there. Some will say the exhaust has a "drone" sound, all I notice is it sounds a bit more tinny. I actually like how it sounds because it's different then everyone else :)

Mike 00LS 07-14-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 342261)
OK, the work they did I don't think should cause the car to be loud. But here's the next question, where is the noise originating from??

I know it's pretty common for an item known as a resonator to rust out and cause loud exhaust noises (the resonator is approximately directly under where the center console is, perhaps a touch forward).

I had mine replaced twice in less then 10,000 miles

I was just going to suggest that.. Mine had that problem actually and especially on start up - it makes a very loud noise. It was cracked down the center - and my new one already has a couple pinhole leaks. When my original one was cracked it was very noticeable in the cabin.

shotime105 07-14-2011 10:46 PM

I was thinking thats what it might be. Beacuse everything yall have said fits the description of the sound. I thought it may have been that but I wasnt to sure know I'm sure that what the problem is. Would be better(price wise and sound) to have it removed and just add a stright pipe or have it repalced with a new one.

Mike 00LS 07-15-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by shotime105 (Post 342528)
I was thinking thats what it might be. Beacuse everything yall have said fits the description of the sound. I thought it may have been that but I wasnt to sure know I'm sure that what the problem is. Would be better(price wise and sound) to have it removed and just add a stright pipe or have it repalced with a new one.

As far as sound goes - I think it will get more "droney" if you remove it. But the_maniac took his off and he thinks it didn't change anything. I don't know how much it differs from when its cracked to when it's removed, but if they sound the same I'll never take mine off - it sounded terrible.

The_Maniac 07-15-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mogwog (Post 342617)
As far as sound goes - I think it will get more "droney" if you remove it. But the_maniac took his off and he thinks it didn't change anything. I don't know how much it differs from when its cracked to when it's removed, but if they sound the same I'll never take mine off - it sounded terrible.

It's possible mine sounds different as a result of some engine mods (like a PLOG and different rockers). But I doubt it makes that much of a difference. Truly, from sitting INSIDE the car, it sounds no different to me, unless I rev the engine and again, MINOR change (like I said, it sounds tad "tinny" and considering I kepft having resenator baffles go bad in short periods of time, this is FAR better sound then the rattles from that baffles). Plus I think i got a performance bump removing it, BONUS.

Everyone has a different taste. If you want to be as CHEAP as possible, I bet having a shop pipe it is cheaper then replace. I couldn't say (my res swaps and now the pipe were all warranty work).

To verify the res is the problem, get the car up on jack stands, crawl under it and you will probably see holes on one side or the other (odds are where it's seemed together). I've even crawled under the car while it's running to listen (just don't touch the exhaust). The resenator is the next canister item after the cat.