Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Me vs. Downpipe - Round 1 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/me-vs-downpipe-round-1-a-7307/)

Nocturnx 01-08-2008 08:09 PM

Me vs. Downpipe - Round 1

Well got my ZZP downpipe and went over to a buddys garage to put it on. We jacked it up and got under it and the rear bolts looked pretty rusted. We flipped on the air compressor and hit the bolts with his small impact wrench and couldnt get either of them to break loose, +1 point downpipe. Couldn't really find a socket that fit the bolt well either, what size are these bolts? We sprayed it with PB buster and gave it some time and tried again with the small impact wrench and failed, +1 point downpipe. We heated it with a small torch and tried again and failed, +1 point downpipe. He didn't have a socket small enough for his large impact wrench to fit the bolts...

Score
Downpipe = 3
Me = 0

Any suggestions? I am thinking we might have to cut the bolts off and drill'em out.

Untill next time downpipe, I will have my revenge!

RocknSS04 01-08-2008 08:41 PM

RE: Me vs. Downpipe - Round 1

That's why I paid $50 to have mine installed.
BTW, I keep throwing a P0420 code. I think I need to put in an O2 spacer, but I haven't had time until now to talk to ZZP about this.

Cowboy6622 01-08-2008 08:45 PM

yeah... the bolts on these exhuast systems get stuck pretty well and they pretty much have to be cut off.

KillerSS 01-08-2008 09:22 PM

u are throwing the rear o2 low effeciancy code the o2 sensor dosnt like the flow i ended up having zzp remap my pcm and delete the rear o2 problem solved

kweef 01-08-2008 10:27 PM

never good when u the name of the thread includes round 1...generally means ur losing, hopefully u kick the crap oout of it next round

psson24 01-08-2008 10:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the front is 13mm
I just installed my own

Front bolts I got with a 3/4" drive ratchet, universal joint, extention and deep socket. and lots of A$$
Back bolts I got with an impact wrench, used all my A$$ on the front bolts.

Oxygen Sensor Issues
-Pull the Sensor
-Install the Plug
-Install the O2 emulator from ZZP

Like I said just did the install (After New Year) have had no problems

Good Luck
-Rick

Not a great practice but you can use an universal joint with an impact wrench. Well, mine survived

04 Intimidator 01-08-2008 11:19 PM

13 MM bolts.

You can get a stripped nut kit from Craftsman and as long as you have the extentions they will break free. The kit has sockets, but instead of being 6 point, it has these flutes that did inand will bite in to break it loose. If not - hand grinder.

Don't bother with the O2 sim as it will not work on your car. All Monte's previous to 04 they will work on, but in 04 plus the O2 sensor reads different - it checks heat as well as emissions and the sims don't work. Get a handheld scanner to clear the code and just put it in your center console.

Otherwise you can get a programmer and remove the P420 code from displaying.

Nocturnx 01-09-2008 08:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might go get a stripped nut kit and give that a try before I attempt to cut it and drill it out.

I got an ls1m off clubgp on the cheap to use for scanning and code clearing until I get my pcm tuned.

04 Intimidator 01-09-2008 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

I got an ls1m off clubgp on the cheap to use for scanning and code clearing until I get my pcm tuned.
They are nice aren't they. :)

You might want to try one more time with good sockets (Craftsman) and a breaker bar.

You won't regret getting the stripped nut head kit though - I've used mine about 8 times in the last year and saved me tons of money and time.

Nocturnx 01-14-2008 02:13 PM

Yea I love the LS1M, it was a great purchase. I practically stole it too, for the price it can't be beaten for a scanner/code clearer.

Just picked up a Craftsman low-profile damaged bolt\nut remover set from sears. It was $35, the impact wrench version was $60. I didn't think it would be worth it for the impact version plus I think craftsman stuff has a life-time warranty, so if it breaks I'll just send it in for replacement. I got the 10-piece 10mm to 19mm set so I'm thinking this should work for the front and rear bolts. Should have a "Round 2" if we get another warm day soon, but it's snowing out right now...