Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Mass Air Flow Sensor Upgrade (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/mass-air-flow-sensor-upgrade-11389/)

mavrickf1613 12-04-2008 05:49 PM

Mass Air Flow Sensor Upgrade

Jet chips offers a mass air flow sensor that is different from the stock maf sensor, will it actually help in performance?

Is this a good upgrade?

JET PERFORMANCE POWR-FLO MASS AIR SENSOR Improved Horsepower, Torque, Mileage And Increases Airflow Up To 45%, Compatible With Other Aftermarket Computer Upgrade And Cold Air Intake, TBI Spacer, Free Flow Exhaust System, Etc., Easy Installation"
Fits: Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Here is the link to this product, voice your opinions please

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...w+sensor+69116

Enzo354 12-04-2008 06:25 PM

RE: Mass Air Flow Sensor Upgrade

LOL i broke my sensor installing my CAI:)

z34phoenix 12-04-2008 06:36 PM

prob with runing a diff sensor is that the car is tuned for your sensor, if you make any changes... IE runing a diff sensor or even modifying the sensor housing for more flow, the data in its look up table will be off... this leads to improper fueling... this could be a good thing or a bad thing.... without a tuner or some sort of datalogger there is no way to know if the change is for the better or not. you could make things worse!

kweef 12-04-2008 07:04 PM

i must agree with phoenix

RocknSS04 12-04-2008 07:10 PM

Agreed. I don't see the need for a MAF sensor upgrade.

mavrickf1613 12-04-2008 08:31 PM

especially since one is $300 bucks

Nocturnx 12-05-2008 08:09 AM

I use an LQ4 MAF sensor with a northstar throttle body. You would need to get tuned if you used a MAF sensor other than stock.

bumpin96monte 12-05-2008 05:45 PM

Jet chips offers a mass air flow sensor that is different from the stock maf sensor, will it actually help in performance?

Is this a good upgrade?
This has been covered a lot recently- especially the jet MAF.

It doesn't make sense to increase the size and flow of one part of the intake system without changing anything else- its not necessary.

Its like taking the piping between your filter and throttle body thats say 3" stock, and replacing it with 10" sewer pipe. Sure the flow is 1000x better, but you've still got the same size filter, and same size throttle body inlet- so actual change in airflow to the engine is obviously going to be minimal.

I honestly don't know why anybody buys that jet crap anyways- I'm not sure if your car can use the same MAFs the 3800s do, but many of the 3800 guys upgrade to the 85mm GM MAF (obviously when putting on a bigger throttle body and bigger intake piping)- which you can usually get for less than $40 shipped brand new.

2003supersport 12-06-2008 12:26 AM

instead of wasting 300 bucks on a MAF, get the ported and polished stage 1 throttle body from zzp. its bored out a little and its polished too, if you have the money get the stage 2, but you should have helping mods with it. It would be a better buy. or just get a downpipe and ported exhaust manifold. I almost bought that jetchip MAF before, but i stopped order on it before it shipped out. realized it wasnt going to do me any good without a bigger throttle body.

Faster 10-09-2013 09:19 PM

Hey, I wanted to ask about the northstar throttle body and the new mass airflow sensor upgrade you did. Was it on a non supercharged 3800? and if so how could I get it for my 03' carlo? I need a new throttle body so im thinking of upgrading to a bigger one with a better sensor. Hope you reply quicky I'm in an urge to drive my car! thanks! :D