Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Making Custom intake. Tips? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/making-custom-intake-tips-8805/)

02CarloLS 04-04-2008 06:34 PM

Making Custom intake. Tips?

As I'm sure my name already gives away, I have an 02 Monte LS. Putting a short ram intake on it just makes no sense to me, why suck up hot air from the engine bay. Paying 200+ for a K&N system also makes no sense as it's a K&N filter with like 10 bucks for of aluminum pipe. What I am planning on doing is having a pipe go straight out from the intake manifold, attaching the airflow sensor to that, then after about 11 inches, attach it to a 90 degree bend with a silicone coupler, and then it'll go straight down behind the headlight, where I'll put a cone filter on it. Only thing is, I'm not too familier with intakes, will this mean I can't drive my car in the rain, cuz water will get in the engine? My brother has that problem, if theres big puddles he cant drive his car :'S

EDIT: Also, is it a 3" pipe from the manifold?

GrandPaDave 04-04-2008 06:39 PM

RE: Making Custom intake. Tips?

Welcome, we have a lot of members who are experts in the intake department.

Fridays are typically the slowest day of the week for technical answers.

Don't get frustrated if you don't get an answer for a while.

Bump your post if you need to anytime it falls off the first page.

02CarloLS 04-04-2008 06:44 PM

Hey thanks!

One more thing I'd like to add... I DO plan on insulating the tubing. I heard also that putting 2 pieces of screen in the joint of the 2 pipes will help remove any water from the intake. Will that restrict the airflow though?

mickey 04-04-2008 06:52 PM

no it wont restrict the air flow,
Also i have this exact same set up in the sens of the run. But i have the air pipe off of a ford escape i think it is . it was the small bronco want a be.

Anyway it will come out far enough to go to the fender and then hooks in to a 90 and has a filter on it.
BUT remeber anythign you do will requier you to remount the computer on the car. somplace or at least get a new mount for it.

the one for the blaizers that is the fender well mounted CPU will mount perfect in the hole .

Also you will need ot come up with a bracket to hold the filter in place.

Also what i finally did with mine is took a small flat peice of Aluminum on it to deflect water from hitting the filter directly.

SO if you take the car boating you might have a issue. other wise your good to go. I drive mine all the time in the rain here in southren tx. it dont rain as much as it FLOODS!!
Mien actually was swamped last year thanks to a lady stoping me in a large puddel tha ti actually floated my car in . Other wise i have never had a issue with it. But i dont go out of my way to drive threw rain gutters either.

02CarloLS 04-04-2008 07:02 PM

Wow awesome tip HERE is the pipe I'm using. Already has a slot built in for the cpu. Will that work?

Finally, HERE is the brackets I'm going to use. Just a quick paintbrush setup, but I'm going to clamp those to the pipe using circular clamps, and perhaps screen around those, not sure. Still in BETA right now for this intake, but I want to have it made in about 2 or 3 weeks.

PS. Your sig was made with a picture from your car outside? Lemme make you a better one sometime. I can see grass in your passenger window! :P

mickey 04-04-2008 07:22 PM

the biggest things to worry about is the CPU getting water on it and sititng on it. gettign wet is really not a big deal they are seald but still not good for them

i took the head light out of my 03SS
right there is a hole in the front of the fender i just took some flat Aluminum that i had and made a short braket that i could screw in to the pipe and then put a screw and washer on the back of it at teh top side out of site and mind.
I dont have any screen in mine at all LOL
but i did drill a small 1/8th inch hole int he elbo so that water could get out if it needs to. the air blowing threw it will take care of gettign it out of the pipe.

As for the Sig. you can make one if ya like but i have like three of them LOL

I really need to change it out agian LOL

GrandPaDave 04-04-2008 07:25 PM

I still think Mickey's sig would be made nicer by adding a fade shot of the white painted engine cover.

mickey 04-04-2008 07:35 PM

there is the newest one.

mickey 04-04-2008 07:42 PM

well i have two of those and also three dashes now also LOL

go figure. But hey im up for anythign

bumpin96monte 04-04-2008 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 02CarloLS
attach it to a 90 degree bend with a silicone coupler, and then it'll go straight down behind the headlight

90* bends are terrible for flow of any fluid through tubing.

If you use a 22.5* bend and do a little cutting- you can put most of the filter in the fender well (at least you can on 5th gen montes and GTP's)- then all you have to do is build a little ABS plastic shield to block off the backside from the hot engine bay air.

That will minimize the bends and keep the piping as short as possible.