Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): To Magnaflow (again) or not to Magnaflow (again), That is the question. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/magnaflow-again-not-magnaflow-again-question-35453/)

fwoggybaby 04-04-2012 11:46 PM

To Magnaflow (again) or not to Magnaflow (again), That is the question.

Hey all, long time no talk! So I still got my Monte but she's becoming a pain in the rump. I'm having mega issues with it lagging/missing when I step on the gas. Of course my check engine light has been on for 6 years so the PO420 code is no new surprise to me. Now I've noticed that my temp is raising, especially going up hills. Going to break down and get yet another cat installed within the next month and see if that helps at all. Of course going to put in new O2 sensors at the same time. Well my ultimate question to you all is should I go with Magnaflow again or not. The one I have on now has been there for 5 years/55,000 miles. I had so many issue of being jerked around and having the wrong one put in last time that I'm a little hesitant to do so again. If I do decide to go with them again, can any of you please tell me the exact part number that I need? Last time they put a universal in and I had issue so I called Magnaflow and they told me there was a specific one for my car but I can't remember what it was. I tried calling them today but they said that all of the cats for my engine are the same and they weren't sure why I was told that 5 years ago.

So do I go through the possible issues with Magnaflow again or are there any other brands you guys would suggest that might be better.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jenn

red04montels 04-05-2012 01:28 AM

You should have a warranty, but they have since bettered their design, I would go with them again if I were you

ChibiBlackSheep 04-05-2012 09:27 AM

Did you buy a magnaflow downpipe or a ZZP Downpipe with magnaflow cat?

fwoggybaby 04-06-2012 11:54 AM

I just had the cat and new O2 sensors put in. The place I took it to in Vegas didn't do the downpipe like I wanted. They also wouldn't do the U-Bend delete because in their words, it wasn't necessary. They also just spliced in the new O2 sensors because they "couldn't find the right ones with the right ends" for my car. I didn't find out about all of that until after the fact and they wouldn't redo it without charging me all over again. I even talked to the owner of the shop and he wouldn't budge. That's one of the troubles with being a girl. A lot of the mechanics in Vegas think we don't know anything and take major advantage of it.

fwoggybaby 04-06-2012 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 444099)
You should have a warranty, but they have since bettered their design, I would go with them again if I were you

Since I'm up in SLC now and it's been so long, no warranty. :(

Zeke 04-06-2012 01:16 PM

I was rollin' my eyes & wonderin' what the heck was going on as I read your explaination, because something just seemed like you were getting "taken for a ride", ... Then your next-to-last sentence brought it all together for me.

No more eye rollin', now I am legit mad for you.

This is a problem that happens EVERYWHERE, & I do not see any way of it being halted ... I am so sorry those SOBs took advantage of you, gave you BS info, then would not perform the service(s) that you wanted without threat of re-charge(s).

More angry by the minute, ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

blueSS 04-06-2012 08:41 PM

You should order a down pipe online then have someone install it for you xD Do you have the 3.8 or 3.4 engine?

here are some downpipes ------> ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

or... look at this stuff ----->Exhaust - MONTE CARLO - CHEVROLET - 2001 - SummitRacing.com

fwoggybaby 04-07-2012 08:25 AM

Thanx Zeke, I was that way for about 2 years. Finally got over it but it still irks me sometimes.

I have the 3.8 engine.

03SSLE 04-07-2012 09:42 AM

If you decide to go with Magnaflow the downpipe w/cat is part #23405. This would be the easiest way to replace the cat and eliminate the u-bend at the same time. It is held in place by two bolts at the exhaust manifold, two bolts at the resonator and a couple of rubber hangers. You also need to unscrew the O2 sensor from the pipe. If you don't want to go the Magnaflow route the Walker (part #54627) or the AP (part #642583) are bolt in replacements that also meet federal regs (except Cali). Installation is the same as the Magnaflow downpipe.