Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Low budget but want power: Replace Resonator, Straight pipe, or Borla cat-back? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/low-budget-but-want-power-replace-resonator-straight-pipe-borla-cat-back-30901/)

chevymontess 09-11-2011 03:30 PM

Low budget but want power: Replace Resonator, Straight pipe, or Borla cat-back?

I am experiencing the same problem as many of you who have posted about a rotted resonator with holes and leaks on my 2002 Monte SS. I have to do something about it. The putt-putt noise Im hearing is bugging th crap out of me.

My uncle is a mechanic and said he would put a straight pipe in for me ($50) and there would be no sound change (supposedly, he does speak from experience tho and also is hard of hearing lol).

He said another option would be replacing the resonator with an aftermarket one ($100 installed).

Currently my exhaust is stock and in great condition and I've always wanted a borla exhaust with some nice deep rumble. I have a friend who wants to dump a brand new system for my car on me for only $400 (plus my uncles install).

Is now the time to upgrade? Should I just straight pipe it? Exchange it? Idk what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ChibiBlackSheep 09-11-2011 08:06 PM

There is no power in a cat-back on these cars.

I would replace the resonator, these engines can get very droney without one.

chevymontess 09-11-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 362218)
There is no power in a cat-back on these cars.

I would replace the resonator, these engines can get very droney without one.

sorry i messed up on the title. im looking for a little more sound and rumble rather than power or performance. what do you think under these circumstances?

xxtheshockerxx 09-11-2011 08:30 PM

i would fix the issues and put magnaflow mufflers on

chevymontess 09-16-2011 04:51 PM

any other opinions?

nickhead 09-16-2011 06:39 PM

im in the same predicament. im guna do a glasspack for the resonator. that'll prob give u the tone ur looking for. go on u tube and listen to wat ppl have done.

chevymontess 09-28-2011 02:51 PM

should i be deleting the ubend also if im deleting the resonator? does that help with anything? i see that a lot of guys do it but for what purpose?

ChibiBlackSheep 09-28-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by chevymontess (Post 368129)
should i be deleting the ubend also if im deleting the resonator? does that help with anything? i see that a lot of guys do it but for what purpose?

The u-bend actually does help performance a tiny bit. It's a huge restriction in the downpipe of these cars.

chevymontess 09-28-2011 04:02 PM

hey do any of you know if a k&n intake from a 2006 monte would fit in an 02 ss?

The_Maniac 09-28-2011 09:18 PM

I ended up deleting my resonator. Stock one rotted out and the after market ones were blowing baffles (less then 10K miles on two after market resonators).

I found it to give a little more performance having the resonator removed. My exhaust is a ZZP Stainless Power Log, ZZP 2.5" DownHigh and highflow cat (U-bend delete), resonator delete and the rest, all stock.

I noticed the sound of my exhaust to be a tad "tinny' when the resonator was removed and replaced with straight pipe. Some (as Chibi said) find it "droney". I personally am fine with the sound (again, it's little to no change and one less thing to go bad on me).