Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Intake Screens (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/intake-screens-3357/)

HaRvArDaLe 01-29-2007 01:34 PM

Intake Screens

I noticed that there is a screen right after the airbox. Is it safe to remove that screen? I also heard that there is a screen on the throttle body. I plan on cleaning it today and was wondering if it was safe to remove that also. Has anybody removed them? If so, what is the best way to do it?

HaRvArDaLe 01-31-2007 02:12 AM

RE: Intake Screens

Anyone?? Please....

DESS03 01-31-2007 09:11 AM

took mine out along time ago

2000_BLACK_SS 01-31-2007 08:22 PM

took mine out too really not that musch if at all of a difference

big green dog 01-31-2007 10:56 PM

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...les1.php?id=32

that should do the trick

z34phoenix 02-04-2007 04:11 AM

yeah it really depends on the car like that artical says ex 97-98 3800's

my 3.4L DOHC engine with separate MAF sensor, if you remove the screen, it will set an engine light if you step on the gas all the way. these screens really do straighten the flow very well.... if you want to try do the following:

take a std 3" computer fan. turn it on... and move your hand away from thw air until you can barely feel it. now place that screen infront of the fan and do the same! the air projects much further! cause the majority of the air is going straight instead of all over the place. on a side note its cool to watch the screen spin with the fan from just the air flow! if you hold it loose enough you can get a pretty cool effect.

i perfer to have an acurate MAF and leave the screen in rather then, remove it to gain flow but less acurate readings.

04MonteLS 02-04-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

yeah it really depends on the car like that artical says ex 97-98 3800's

my 3.4L DOHC engine with separate MAF sensor, if you remove the screen, it will set an engine light if you step on the gas all the way. these screens really do straighten the flow very well.... if you want to try do the following:

take a std 3" computer fan. turn it on... and move your hand away from thw air until you can barely feel it. now place that screen infront of the fan and do the same! the air projects much further! cause the majority of the air is going straight instead of all over the place. on a side note its cool to watch the screen spin with the fan from just the air flow! if you hold it loose enough you can get a pretty cool effect.

i perfer to have an acurate MAF and leave the screen in rather then, remove it to gain flow but less acurate readings.
Well said

ajsbengals 02-09-2007 04:03 PM

I did take the screen out on my 2001 3.4 and all went well. No engine light, a better sound and feel of the engine, but i took mine out after i put on a K&N cold air intake, and JET MAF sensor. So i suppose it varies

z34phoenix 02-09-2007 05:18 PM

2001 is a 3400 not a 3.4L
3400: ohv pushrod motor
3.4L: DOHC (dual over head cam)

the redline is much higher on the DOHC then your 3400. so the MAF prob didnt get flow #'s highenough to trip it. but like i posted up a few posts, i'd rather have a correctly functioning MAF then try and gain 1 hp and screw up my AF mix and end up loosing more HP.

besides the MAF is not a restriction on your motor. the TB is. your Throtle body is even smaller then the TB on my DOHC and even on my car the TB was a bigger restriction then the maf.

the best way to see HP/perf gains on an engine is to see where the short comings of the motors are, fix these and enjoy the results. for ex. mustanges have a pretty large TB factory there isnt much to gain from swaping those out... but if you change the headers! WOW what a diff. the 3400 can really see a gain from a bigger TB and even a new Upper intake manifold. over at 60degreev6.com their store sells 3500 upper intake manifolds and TB. i dont know how easy the swap is, but from what i hear its cheeper then buying P&P intakes and TB's for the 3400. got to love how GM bores out a few things on a motor and then declares it as a new motor: 3100---> 3400--->3500 (caty motor) atleast we can enjoy all the parts that swap :D

ajsbengals 02-14-2007 04:37 PM

yeah, typo......just got done reading his post and mis-used it.....but good heads up. Ive noticed you usually have some pretty in depth feedback. Mechanic or just love of your life?