Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 AM
Default high flow cat

I was considering purchasing a random technology high flow cat withe the u-bend deleted. has anyone used this product? if so are there any problems that may arise?can I use the old o2 sensor, as I just replaced it about a week ago. they say this is a direct bolt on part.

thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: high flow cat

yeah, you can use the same O2 sensor. However, unless you're to go from the 2.25" cat that is already on it to 2.5" all the way back, i wouldn't say it is worth it. high flow cats do'nt do much for you anymore, in older cars of say the early 90's-back they wuold help, but not today. cats aren't nearly as restrictive in the 00-05 (i assume this is what you have since you have mentioned a u bend delete).

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 AM

Entirely false statement. Highflo cats help with flow, reducing knock retard, gives your exhaust more grumble, and also improves CFM flow. I can't find stats right now, but I will for later... there is a HUGE CFM flow difference between highflo cats and the restrictive factory cats.

Personally TommyD, I would get it. If you are looking for one, Dan (04Intimidator) is looking to sell his, slightly used, as he had one custom fabbed for his car... You should PM him. He's asking for about 120 bucks cheaper than most stores out there...

Cowboy, they don't make these things because they don't work.. and some of the fastest Streetable and Emissions Passable FWD 3800 cars don't use factory cats. Why?! Because stock cats suck, and they slow your exhaust flow down. That = crappy performance. Thats why they make aftermarket cats.

-Keegan

Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 AM

And TommyD, yes, the R/T downpipe's have an 02 bung to thread your current sensor into.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM

What cat do you most of you think is the best for our cars? I've heard some people say SLP, other Random Tech. Also what size for inlet and outlet dia. do we need for our cars.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 PM

I honestly don't even know if they make them for your engine.. the problem is, to my understanding, your engines are totally different in the angles and degrees of the manifolds...

Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM

From what I've heard a cat is a cat as long asyou get the right size.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Oh, you just want the cat fabbed up in place of yours...

I personally have a Hogan cat, I think it's more preference than anything. If I had to chose, I would say either SLP, Hogan, or Random Technology.

And most cats, at least on the 00-05's are 3" input and 2.5" discharge.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

they help with flow because the stock cat is a smaller diameter than that high flow cat, so duh, its going to help..... but not becasue its a high flow cat.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:24 PM

we are not going to get into an argument, but I assure you. the highflow cat DOES help with flow, even if it WAS the same size. the difference is HOW it turns the burned fuel and oxygen into CO2. I assure you, go back to physics. It's called a catalyst. A catalyst is a chemical reaction leading to a change in two or more substances into a third. If you can get this catalyst to happen faster, guess what? highflow. Period. I am done on this post, as it seems you would rather be hardheaded versus open to learning.

Done.

Quick Reply: high flow cat