Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   ? on headers on a 3800 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/headers-3800-a-34917/)

641montecarloSS 03-14-2012 02:48 PM

? on headers on a 3800

What do you guys who have headers recommend to buy for my 04 monte. Ive heard Speed daddy headers are good but is there much difference in power and sound compared to the stock manifolds?

01 Monte SS 03-14-2012 03:05 PM

I'd recommend Speedy Daddys. Is your monte supercharged? If it's not supercharged you will actually notice a loss in low end torque. Made my SLP catback sound a little deeper and more of a throaty tone. Eliminated some of the rasp in my opinion. Only reason I did headers is because I plan on being supercharged sometime this year so the headers will actually be beneficial. Not much of a benefit for non-supercharged Monte's though.

641montecarloSS 03-14-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS (Post 435438)
I'd recommend Speedy Daddys. Is your monte supercharged? If it's not supercharged you will actually notice a loss in low end torque. Made my SLP catback sound a little deeper and more of a throaty tone. Eliminated some of the rasp in my opinion. Only reason I did headers is because I plan on being supercharged sometime this year so the headers will actually be beneficial. Not much of a benefit for non-supercharged Monte's though.

Yeah its not supercharged and dont plan on putting one on till a few years down the road so i have a three inch exhaust out of a 07 Impala SS that is the exact same as the stock. I was thinking about putting that on and cutting the resonator out and putting super 44's on. Would that sound good? I currently do not have much for mods on performance. I plan on buying some NGK spark plugs and good Wires. I have a K&n CAI, sound system, ground effects and interior, wheels, tint. so ive made it look good i just want good performance and sound. Ya KNOW??? haha

Enzo354 03-14-2012 06:13 PM

I like my headers, before I was boosted they seemed to open up the top end a bit, and if they are only a bit more then a downpipe, why not?

If you get headers, get the SS AUTO CHROME headers. I have them, and they are much better then speed daddys. Speed daddy headers all hang very low at the down pipe.

Another plus is that it makes spark plug removal easier. I dont even have to tilt my engine forward to change the rear plugs.

red04montels 03-14-2012 06:20 PM

Most designs are very similar, I agree with Brock, get the SS headers because of the downpipe, i've seen the Speed Daddy header downpipe actually break from bottoming out

Zeke 03-14-2012 07:05 PM

@641montecarloSS: I have a 03 SS 3300 & have FM's Super 44's all ready to go on mine in the next couple weeks ... Getting mine off the lift & out of storage Sunday.

I am also installing a 2.5" stainless downpipe w/ cat & "u-bend" delete (from ZZP) ... resonator already deleted the first week I had this Monte back in August. I will not be doing anymore exhaust changes/mods ... MAYBE someday I will attack a PLOG up front, but no time soon ... I am expecting the new cold air intake I purchased from Cold Air Inductions, Inc. to greatly assist with the overall air/fuel mixture flow throughout the engine ... & for it to alter the exhaust note ...

I cannot wait to get these Super 44's on, ... And the stainless FM 3" tips!