Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Gutted Air Box (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/gutted-air-box-49819/)

GTHSS 07-30-2014 04:02 PM

Gutted Air Box

4 Attachment(s)
I gutted my air box this weekend in an attempt to build my own cold air intake. Since the stock air box pulls air from behind the head light I thought that by gutting it and insulating it I could save a dollar or two.

So how I started was by removing the brace above the air box and then removing air box. Once I had it out and into 3 pieces I saw that the middle section was where I need to start. Using a small rotary tool with a cutoff wheel I carefully cut all unneeded material away. The third pic will show what I removed beside what is left of the middle section. I used a good pocket knife and a file to de-burr the edges.

Once cleaned and ready for reassembly I added a new K&N filter and replaced the box.

Next step will be to find the right spray on insulation to spray inside the box to keep it cool. I also am going to make a cone style filter adapter to put inside when I insulate it. I think you can get a little better flow from a cone style.

I had to ask myself if I really accomplished much doing this. Well, It took me two hours and several broken cutoff wheels. However I can feel a better throttle response and feul mileage is up from 29 to 31 mpg. The MagnaFlow exhaust is talking a little louder now also. Most of that could be the filter alone though. What do y'all think?

The_Maniac 07-30-2014 04:19 PM

Nice write up and pics!

If you look at a place like Home Depot, they sell an insulation like what is used in a couple cold air intakes (looks like chrome bubble wrap). Could get that and attach it to your gutted box.

GTHSS 07-30-2014 07:25 PM

Good idea. I might try that.

GTHSS 08-02-2014 05:31 PM

Custom Cold Air Intake

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 624387)
Nice write up and pics!

If you look at a place like Home Depot, they sell an insulation like what is used in a couple cold air intakes (looks like chrome bubble wrap). Could get that and attach it to your gutted box.

Hey Jason, do you know what department Home Depot would have that style of insulation in?

I have a sheet of 16 gauge diamond plate aluminum in my shop. After i insulate this intake and and fabricate the cone filter adapter, I am thinking about using my final dimensions to build a cold air intake out of the diamond plate. I can't decide if the brightness of diamond plate will be overkill.

The_Maniac 08-02-2014 06:02 PM

I've always seen it in the isle with the normal house insulation. I believe this is the stuff (or something like it):
Reflectix 16 in. x 25 ft. Staple Tab Insulation-ST16025 at The Home Depot

I know what I've seen would be plenty to insulate an air box and was not expensive.

GTHSS 08-02-2014 06:24 PM

Thanks! Great info.

ZIPPY02 08-02-2014 07:38 PM

Nice mod, I don't understand why others have not done this mod. Seems perfectly sensible, totally seals off the air intake from the hot engine bay temps. Just not blingy as the nice CAI systems.

Think you will find the insulation at the back of the store in the lumber section with all the rigid insulation. Usually in racks against the exterior wall, with all the 4x8 full size sheets and the smaller cut up segments.

GTHSS 08-02-2014 08:35 PM

Thanks Zippy. I like that red Monte. Nice car!

Johnlh97 08-03-2014 12:21 AM

I actually hadn't thought of this.. This seems like a great alternative to a CAI(Wizaird/ZZP/CAI)