Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   General Aftermarket Exhaust Questions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/general-aftermarket-exhaust-questions-29979/)

PaceCarCletus 08-02-2011 04:15 PM

General Aftermarket Exhaust Questions

Ok so i am new to the forum and i am planning on changing up my exhaust completely,

First question is that on a new zzp downpipe would it be wiser to buy the bolt on one, or get the weld in one? thing is im not a fantastic welder so i would have to take it to a shop to get it done.
Also if the bolt on one is the way to go how hard is it to remove the stock downpipe and swap it with the new one?

My other question is that on SLPs new Loudmouth II mufflers would it be possible to install on my stock pipes leading to it myself or does that need done professionally, Ive never been able to find any 00-05 Montes with the loudmouth IIs on youtube so i didnt know if it could even be done?

Help me out!

Mike 00LS 08-02-2011 05:17 PM

First question is that on a new zzp downpipe would it be wiser to buy the bolt on one, or get the weld in one? thing is im not a fantastic welder so i would have to take it to a shop to get it done.
Also if the bolt on one is the way to go how hard is it to remove the stock downpipe and swap it with the new one?
The stock downpipe is bolted on, so the bolt on version is fine. However, the bolts could have very easily rusted up so it could take some work to get it out.

My other question is that on SLPs new Loudmouth II mufflers would it be possible to install on my stock pipes leading to it myself or does that need done professionally, Ive never been able to find any 00-05 Montes with the loudmouth IIs on youtube so i didnt know if it could even be done?
Just cut the old ones off and weld on the new ones, but if you're not a good welder, probably a good plan to have it done professionally.

Question.. Where are you located in Ohio? There's a teenager down my street w/ a 2000 Pace Car... and in another post you said this is your first car... Just curious.

PaceCarCletus 08-02-2011 05:37 PM

Ok yeah just looked at the bolts they are a little rusty but i think i can get them out, and yeah thats what i was thinking lol get them done right, and i live in Columbiana Ohio just south of youngstown lol

ChibiBlackSheep 08-02-2011 07:36 PM

Bolt-in is easier, even if a shop has to do it for you while you get the mufflers welded on.

PaceCarCletus 08-02-2011 07:51 PM

Alright thanks! hey quick question, after the stock downpipe on my car
there is this bigg longg thing on the single pipe that connects to the
splitter, is that the resonator? and should i get that taken off an rid of
the resonator (if thats what it is) in general, my buddy can make a
new pipe without that thing for 30 bucks, (his job is making custom exhaust)

ChibiBlackSheep 08-02-2011 08:09 PM

That is the resonator, removing that adds drone to the interior cabin, a lot of people don't like that.

PaceCarCletus 08-02-2011 08:33 PM

Oh! yeah dont want that lol

03SSLE 08-02-2011 08:37 PM

I just replaced the downpipe and resonator on my '03 today. I wanted to free up the exhaust flow but didn't want the drone that Chibi speaks of, so in lieu of a resonator I installed a Magnaflow glasspack instead. I don't know what it would sound like through the SLP mufflers, but through the stock mufflers it is just slightly louder at idle and cruise than the stock system with a nice, mellow tone - and no drone. :cool:

Leprechaun93 08-02-2011 08:54 PM

now that's an interesting idea, replacing the resonator with a glasspack, though you dont have the same engine as me i wonder how it would sound on a 3.1

PaceCarCletus 08-02-2011 08:55 PM

Yeahh only problem with glass packs is that they dot last very longg