Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Functional Ram Air Hood Project (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/functional-ram-air-hood-project-48294/)

Crusader SS 04-12-2014 12:57 PM

Functional Ram Air Hood Project

Good morning everyone. Well I am finally ready to tackle my Ram Air hood project phase I. The performance shop I frequent will be opening up the hood and liner. Location will be between the metal support structure in a V shape which is perfect for the shape and location of the scoops. The cut outs will be finished with a rubber liner. I have prepared the intake grills by cutting and customizing an old SLP grill so that they match my SLP. Phase I will be for additional engine cooling. Phase II will involve building a plenum box to tie into the CAI. I will post pics as we go. :)

The_Maniac 04-12-2014 05:33 PM

Man, you REALLY got hit with the mod-bug lol!! Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out :)

ZIPPY02 04-12-2014 06:42 PM

Now that is a legit hood mod your doing. Totally needed that to be opened up, your probably one of the very few who have ever done this mod. NICE!! :thumbsup:

STUMPMI 04-12-2014 06:47 PM

Hey...
That sounds like something that would also look/function well on a 5th Gen... Hmmmmm

Great Mod !
Looking forward to the progress pics!:thumbsup:

Crusader SS 04-12-2014 06:52 PM

Thanks guys... Yeah Jason, you're right, got bit back in 1979 with my first GTO, took her up to 410hp and haven't looked back since... I know what you mean Greg, when I opted to put on the scoops, they were placed and positioned to be openned up immediately, unfortunately life sometimes gives you a few delays on plans, but it is full on now...:)

Crusader SS 04-12-2014 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 608516)
Hey...
That sounds like something that would also look/function well on a 5th Gen... Hmmmmm

Great Mod !
Looking forward to the progress pics!:thumbsup:

You bet it would David...:thumbsup:... The choice of scoop is critical, because of the way our hoods are structured and braced... They must be open avoiding the bracing... Actually, my first choice of scoop was like the MPD hood, unfortunately, there was no way to miss the bracing unless the openning was tiny... Then I thought, I really loved the look of the ram air IV scoops on my old GTO, and Chevy had also messed around with duals in the past, so why not... I'll be away on business for a week, so I should be able to finish phase 1 in a couple weeks...:)

ohara 04-12-2014 08:11 PM

Wow Damien, you are having a great spring with your ride. I can honestly say I am extremely jealous as you are doing everything I want to do. I will be looking forward to your update pics as you go.

Crusader SS 04-12-2014 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ohara (Post 608526)
Wow Damien, you are having a great spring with your ride. I can honestly say I am extremely jealous as you are doing everything I want to do. I will be looking forward to your update pics as you go.

Thanks Ken... I am sure it is only a matter of time before you mod your ride to where you want it, then, I must warn you, you will keep modding...:rotfl:

Hiroska 04-14-2014 09:57 AM

Looking forward to seeing this.

GTHSS 04-15-2014 07:03 PM

Exciting hood mods

:thumbsup: Sounds like a well planned mod. I can't wait to see pics.