Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow for Rumble? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/flowmaster-vs-magnaflow-rumble-37606/)

ReimTime 07-08-2012 09:07 AM

Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow for Rumble?

Howdy. I've been lucky enough to have enough money, between working and internships, to browse for exhausts for my 2006 SS.

I've watched plenty of youtube videos, and I'm trying to decide between Flowmaster mufflers and a Magnaflow catback.

I'm looking for loud, but not so loud that car alarms go off. I'd like a deep rumble rather than a raspy sound.

Flowmaster:
- PROS:
- Cheaper
- Louder?
- Easier to install

CONS:
-Might not be that loud

Magnaflow:
-PROS:
- Full stainless catback system
- Also upgrades the resonator

-CONS:
- Price (The big one)
- Weld on attachment

Which one would be louder? $800+ seems like too much to spend for a catback system, and that seems to be how much the Magnaflows are going for these days. Others on the forum seem to suggest that Flowmaster mufflers are louder than a Magnaflow catback, and I'm trying to go with the loudest option.

Changing out the cat is also an option. I was thinking either a test pipe or simply a high-flow cat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So, for those with experience, which of these would give me a louder rumble? Also, is the installation something I can do myself? If not, how much do these installations usually run? Also, if I can achieve more rumble by deleting the cat and keeping Flowmasters, I'll do that too.

06mistreSS 07-08-2012 10:22 AM

I don't know, I have the MagnaFlow system on mine and love it. Their cat-back system gives a mean, low tone at idle and anything up to about half throttle. Sounds great when mashing the accelerator but mellows out and isn't obnoxious when cruising. I've got a lot of compliments on the sound, one being from a guy who used to own an 06 SS. I was pulling into a gas station and he walked over to me as I was getting out, first words out of his mouth being, "that exhaust is definitely not stock". So, it's definitely a noticeable change from stock.

I haven't heard the Flowmasters in person though.

Space 07-08-2012 10:37 AM

Great detailed thread questions & I hope our member's that have changed their system will post their thoughts & advice on which they think are good systems with a rumbling sound...

Below is a suggestion is to go to YouTube to listen to several Monte Carlo's that have various systems on their Monte's and listen to their sounds and choose the one you like best

2002 Monte Carlo SS Exhaust - YouTube
Click above link & once connection look at the side bar on other Monte's + also use their search engine to get more specific on what you want to have on your Monte...Good Luck on getting the system that you want :thumbsup: with the right tunes 4 you :thumbsup:

p.s. Hope life is good in the Buckeye State of Ohio..
EnJoy your SunDay :thumbsup:

Mike 00LS 07-08-2012 11:23 AM

I have Magnaflow mufflers on my 2000. I prefer the sound of Magnaflow over Flowmasters, quite a few people here have got the Magnaflow catback on their LS4 and love it.

2007 Monte Carlo SS Drive by Magnaflow Exhaust - YouTube

zjerry 07-08-2012 11:32 AM

I don't know, I have SLP Loud mouth mufflers on my Monte..
I have Flowmaster's on my 1940 & 1946 chevy Love them..:thumbsup:

03SSLE 07-08-2012 02:40 PM

If you want to keep the cost down you also have the option of just replacing the mufflers and/or resonator. When I do a complete overhaul of my exhaust I'm going to install Porter mufflers.

porter mufflers.MP4 - YouTube

BlackRainSS 07-08-2012 02:52 PM

When I read RumbleBee I was thinking of the Dodge truck and I was going to say just straight pipe it lol, now I'm lost on what to suggest since I don't own a V8 Monte. Personally thought before I just went to srtaight piping in trucks I prefered the Flowmaster 40 series on trucks.

03JGMonte 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

Borla or Corsa is what i would go with over the rest, Corsa is amazing on LS motors

ReimTime 07-09-2012 07:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going to go for the magnaflow.

Any suggestions to increase the volume? Just delete the resonator or cat, right? I may consider that too. From the videos you folks posted the sound is nice, I'd just like it a touch louder. Of course, I'll experience it in person first.

Space 07-09-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ReimTime (Post 476156)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going to go for the magnaflow.

Any suggestions to increase the volume? Just delete the resonator or cat, right? I may consider that too. From the videos you folks posted the sound is nice, I'd just like it a touch louder. Of course, I'll experience it in person first.

:rolleyes:
Thanks for your update & decision..We all will be looking forward to your updates & hearing the rumbling sounds from your Monte Carlo :thumbsup:
============================================
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7190/6...a4a8b69a_z.jpg
:rolleyes: Oh, so will we be listening & watching 4 U :eek::rotfl: LOL
http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....1329269780.jpg
"Yes, I heard you coming from a mile away" LOL
Nice Monte 4-Sure, now give me your license & registration +
proof of insurance...Oh, your Monte sounds MEAN...I like the Rumble...I hope that the Judge does 2 :eek::confused: ~>:rotfl: