Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Flowmaster Super 40's (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/flowmaster-super-40s-2816/)

vipermann114 12-07-2006 02:58 AM

Flowmaster Super 40's

Ok guys i just purchased an 01 monte Carlo, limited edition and the price was a steal 7500 off of an old couple. 40,000 miles its super clean its incredible. Im in love with it now. I was looking into buyin some super 40's for the car but i havent got a chance to look underneath yet. Do i need 2 or just 1? Im not sure if it comes from same muffler. Any suggestions on how it sounds??

wiz kidd 12-07-2006 10:22 AM

RE: Flowmaster Super 40's

well the cars would have 2 mufflers @ the back, so you could do that with the flowmasters single in single out going sidways near the back of the car then out, or you could buy 1 single in dual out flowmaster muffler, works the same way :)

vipermann114 12-07-2006 01:39 PM

so i could do 2?

wiz kidd 12-07-2006 02:03 PM

take a look at this

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_394_full.jpg

this is from phoenix's post a while back

wiz kidd 12-07-2006 02:05 PM

or you could also run the mufflers sideways at the back if you didn't want to see the mufflers from the back of the car (i dont have a pic of what this would look like, but kind of like what camaro's and them have, they go sidways from the y pipe and then out the back of the car so all you see is the tips at the back

vipermann114 12-08-2006 02:22 AM

thats sounds like something im intrested in but this is my 1st time im doing this stuff so any1 wanna speak english to me LoL

wiz kidd 12-08-2006 10:15 AM

lol, sorry

first manifold to down pipe, get u-bend delete(exhaust shop will know what this is)
2nd get a high flow 3" cat converter (universal)
c (lol) get rid of the resonator
4th after where the resonator would have been have them do a y-pipe (which should already be there if its already dual exhaust)

5th 2 mufflers right after the y-pipe going sideways towards the side of the car (they dont have to go sideways, but it looks better so you wont see any of the muffler from the back of the car)
6th 2 tailpipes (one out of each muffler)
last pick the nice fancy tips that you want on the back of the car :)

any exhaust shop should be able to do this for you very easily :)

hope this wasn't too confusing...lol

hopefully thats not too confuzing

vipermann114 12-09-2006 03:21 AM

well i dont have the funds now but i was just planning on gettin flowmaster super 40's just the mufflers. Should i just wait about 6 months and save up for a whole catback exhaust system?

vipermann114 12-09-2006 03:22 AM

o an also can i buy everything in steps?

z34phoenix 12-09-2006 08:46 AM

i think your best and most cost effective route is this.

find a good local exhaust shop. one that has been around for many years. i'd stay way from the major chains.

use a single muffler under the car behind the cat like in my pic wizkid posted for ya. then you can listen to the car and if it is too loud you can throw a resonator on it.... then split the pipe and do the duals. it saves on weight and since your only getting one muffler it saves you money and also, you are maximizing flow and efficeny! what more can you ask for?

as for mufflers: it all depends on what your looking for....
-for performance you want borla, magnflow dynamax. in that order too. magnaflow and dynamax are pretty close.... i dont have any experience with dynamax, borla will be more expensive cause they are 100% stainless steel... but will last prob longer then the body of the car lol. their design in the mufflers are all high flow and very close when it comes to flow.

-flowmasters are great for making that deep rumble but they use "baffles" to make this sound. baffles are little walls and cutouts inside the muffler. these block the flow of air and slow down the flow. granted they will flow much better then stock mufflers, but will not match any of the above mufflers.

also for sound you can remove some of the resonators. you should have two. when i first go the car i had no idea what a resonator was....(it is there to quite the exhaust in a specific sound range or at a specific RPM) the first buldge under the car is your cat. and the last can thing is your muffler so what ever else is between are your resonators. i would pull the resonator closest to the muffler to gain more sound.

I dont want to over load you with info.... i have been know to do that in the past. if you want a really high flowing system send me a message and i'll plan it out for you or atleast aim you in the best direction... hope this helps.